Last modified: 2011-07-08 by rick wyatt
Keywords: stone horse yacht club | united states yacht club | massachusetts |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Ivan Sache, 22 July 2010
The Stone Horse Yacht Club (SHYC), located on Wychmere Harbor in Harwich Port, was founded in 1933 as the Stonehorse Club, named for the "Stonehorse" lightship. The club adopted its current name when chartered in March 1934.
The burgee of the SHYC is blue with a white cross charged with a row of six red stars. As reported by George Rockwood, the burgee was designed by Priscilla Lee, a 20-year-old art student at the time. The six stars are a tribute to the six individuals deemed to have been the prime movers in the founding of the club, Bernard Russel "B.R." Andrews, Edward Aaron "Ted" Davis, William Davis Lee (a brother of the designer), Neil Cook McMath, Palmer Cosslett Putnam and George Ichabod Rockwood.
Ivan Sache, 22 July 2010