Last modified: 2016-02-27 by rick wyatt
Keywords: coyote point yacht club | united states yacht club | california |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Ivan Sache, 24 May 2000
The page at www.well.com/user/pk/yachtclubs.html gives a list of links towards the homepages of the Yacht Clubs of the Bay of San Francisco, and most of them show their flag on their respective homepage.
Ivan Sache, 24 May 2000
Coyote Point Yacht Club - www.cpyc.com:
Coyote Point Yacht Club is located at Coyote Point in San Mateo. It's a merger, from the nineties, of the older Coyote Point and Palo Alto Yacht Clubs.
"Section 3 Burgee
The Burgee of the Club shall be a pointed flag in red, white, and blue with the white vertical diamond containing a red five-pointed star in its center, bounded by blue at the hoist and red at the fly. Any boat duly enrolled in the Club fleet may take part in any of the Club's regattas and fly the Club Burgee. The original Coyote Point burgee remained in effect until January 1, 2000."
This suggests that the pre-merger club had a different burgee, and also that the diamond should not be a tile, but should be higher than wide. The burgee is shown as a graphic on their website.
Peter Hans van den Muijzenberg, 2 March 2010
The Palo Alto Yacht Club (PAYC) was organised in the autumn of 1928, in Palo Alto in the extreme south-west of the San Francisco Bay. It was harboured in Palo Alto Yacht Harbour, in the mouth of the San Francisquito Creek, the border between
Santa Clara County and and San Mateo County. When this creek in the 1950-s was diverted to make way for an airport and a golf course, its water flow no longer kept the harbour open, creating the sort of challenge that will either bring people together or draw them apart, in this case the latter. The city took to dredging the harbour, but didn't factor this as perpetual cost of the golf course and airport. The city also didn't ensure the dredged-up mud was flushed back into deep water, causing the mud to be dumped on nearby marshland. Costs, environment, and a bad case of politics made the city decide by 1980 to let the harbour go back to its natural state, and stick to that even though they did not reconstruct the original creek for this. By 1986 this lost the city the harbour.
I have not seen proof of the PAYC remaining active as a yacht club after the loss of the harbour. On 17 June 1997, however, the club merged with the Coyote Point Yacht Club, giving that club a burgee without lettering, and an artificially longer history.
Peter Hans van den Muijzenberg, 9 October 2013