This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Magnolia, Texas (U.S.)

Montgomery County

Last modified: 2016-03-09 by rick wyatt
Keywords: texas | magnolia | montgomery county |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Flag of Magnolia, Texas] image by Ivan Sache, 19 May 2012
based on:

See also:

Description of the flag

The city of Magnolia (1,111 inhabitants in 2000; 5.4 sq. km) is located in southwestern Montgomery County.

Quoting the city website:
The year 1840 may have been the turning point in the history of what is now known as Magnolia, Texas. That was the year that the southern boundary of Montgomery County was extended to Spring Creek. This area was officially named Mink, Texas on September 3, 1885. The first known application for "Magnolia" was dated January 17, 1885, however; the official name change to Magnolia did not occur until July 28, 1903. By 1924 it was a thriving community. Several large sawmills were open as well as several general stores, saloons, barbershop, ice cream store, telephone office, livery stable, bank, hotel, boarding house, doctor's office, pharmacy, blacksmith shop, syrup and grist mills, churches, school, land office, railroad depot, telegraph station, cotton gin, tanning yard, feed store and garage. Magnolia became a shipping center for lumber, farm products and cattle. An election was held on September 28, 1968, to determine if the territory known as Town of Magnolia should become an incorporated municipality. There were a total of 123 votes cast, 106 votes for and 17 votes against. The City of Magnolia became an incorporated municipality on October 15, 1968 with Cedric Smith serving as the first Mayor.{3D474BAC-6148-4BA2-8CB8-CCCA8CCD5752}

In "Community Impact Newspaper", Shawn Arrajj reports the adoption of the flag of Magnolia, as follows:

The district-wide Magnolia ISD flag designing contest came to an end in April. The city presented the winning design - which will become the official city flag - at a Council meeting April 10. The winning flag was designed by Miguel Miranda of Magnolia West High School, who received a check for $250 from the city. His design was chosen from 26 entries.
Mendes wrote an accompanying legend for the flag that explains its meaning. The colors - maroon and green - represent the base color of the community and schools and Magnolia's history in the lumber industry.
Two runner-up designs were also presented. Kate Bransen, of Magnolia Junior High, achieved second place. The city plans to use her design on its website, according to Deborah Rose Miller, Magnolia's economic development coordinator. Devin Beach, another MJH student, placed third. His design will be used in a banner that will hang from street lights on FM 1774 once they are installed. Both Bransen and Beach received $100 checks from the city.

The flag is divided green over maroon by the descending diagonal, here a white stripe charged with a black railway. All over, a big black shield charged with a white magnolia flower over two white swords crossed per saltire. "MAGNOLIA" is written in golden letters outlined in white, forming an arch above the shield.

Ivan Sache, 19 May 2012

Green stands for the forests and lumber industry that was instrumental in the creation of the city. Maroon is the base color of our community and schools. The magnolia blossom stands for the beauty of the area and warmth, and the caring of our citizens. The crossed swords stand for the unity of the community and willingness to protect the county, state and city. The shield symbolizes our resolve to defend our citizens from harm. The white stripe that crosses the flag represents the railroad while serving as a defining symbol.
Valentin Poposki, 1 May 2012