This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

P'eng-hu (Penghus) County, Taiwan


Last modified: 2014-05-29 by zoltán horváth
Keywords: taiwan | china | asia | peng-hu | hsien |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[flag of P'eng-hu]
image by António Martins-Tuválkin, 12 December 2006

See also:

County Flag

Globalflag shows the same design but with much larger and near elements. This so also at vexilla-mundi, which additionally uses dark yellow.
António Martins-Tuválkin, 12 December 2006


P'eng-hu County (92,489 inhabitants in 2005; 141.052 sq. km) is made of group of some 90 islands, formerly known as Pescadores (Fishers' islands) scattered in the Taiwan Strait, between Taiwan and continental China. The County is made, from North to South, of Paisha / Bai-sha Township, Hisyu / West Isle Township, Huhsi / Hu-xi Township, Magong / Ma-gong City, Wangan / Wan-an Township and Cimei / Chimay Township. More than half of the population of the county lives in Magong City.

The name of P'eng-hu appeared during the Song dynasty's rule, while the first mention of settlement in the islands dates back to the Nan- Song dynasty (1225). The archipelago became a den of pirates and robbers, with some limited attempts of reconquest by the Chinese government. On 12 July 1604, P'eng-hu was settled by a three Dutch vessels bringing soldiers and traders, who set up a post. The Dutch were expelled in 1624 and a fort was built, served by artillery and 3,000 soldiers.1

The county flag is shown on the P'eng-hu County website, with the following description of the emblem:

  • Penghu county badge (in the middle lies the white world Peng, and the upper half of the logo will be colored sky-blue while the half below will be colored dark blue)
  • Yellow base
  • Red chirographic font2

The county badge is explained in depth on another page of the county website:

  1. A white logo, [with] the Chinese word Peng, is designed with a light house with top in the middle and with the Penghu bridge across the ocean. In the logo, we see six waves representing the six cities in the Penghu county strongly united together.
  2. As to the background, the deep blue symbolizes the ocean, and the light blue stands for the blue sky. Therefore this logo explains what a quiet and pretty ocean paradise Penghu is with its grand ocean and the beautiful sky.
  3. The logo as a whole symbolizes the structure of Penghu. There is a lake inside the island, therefore outside the lake we see passionate waves while inside the lake water is as peaceful as a mirror. Also in the county, there is a famous big bridge* across the ocean and five lighthouses named: Tongjee, West Isle, Mudow Isle, Chamu Isle and Hua isle. All these five lighthouses stand firmly in the Taiwan straits and shine with splendor to show the spirit and characteristics of Penghu.3

*The "famous big bridge" is the P'eng-hu Trans-Oceanic Bridge connecting Baisha and Siyu, the longest bridge in Taiwan (2,494 m).


1County website
2County website | Introduction/County Flag
County website | Introduction/County Badge

Ivan Sache, 4 May 2008