Last modified: 2015-12-16 by ivan sache
Keywords: salihli | sart |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Salihli - Image by Jens Pattke, 23 February 2013
The flag of Salihli (photo) is white with the municipality's emblem in the middle. "SALİHLİ BELEDİYESİ" means "Salihli Municipality".
Tomislav Šipek, 18 February 2013
Flag of Sart, as seen on 20 April 2013 alongside the main road - Image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 27 April 2014
Sart (Greek, Sardes), located at the western terminal stop of ancient Persian royal road system, played an important role in the First Persian Empire and had been capital of the Kingdom of Lydia, before it was subdued by the Persians. Although it was struck by an earthquake in 17 AD, the town was recovered later on and remained connected also with the Roman road system in Asia Minor. Sardes was one of the seven churches mentioned within the Book of Revelation. The city declined since 1071 and became a battlefield in the wars between the Selçuk Turks and the Byzantine Empire. Since the 13th century it was neglected by the Emperors and the capture and probable destruction by Timur in 1402 marked the end of its fame. Today it is a small town (5,127 inhabitants). Its name was Sartmahmut until 18 October 2005.
A Roman gymnasium, an ancient synagogue and one of the major Artemis temples in the region, which was used but never completely finished, are the main archaeological sites today.
The flag of Sart is white with the municipal emblem in its centre. The seal displays the ruins of the Artemis temple. It has a circumscription in black capital letters "SART BELEDİYESİ" (Sart Municipality) and below the year "1972". Between date and name on the left edge is a blossom of cotton and on the right edge a bunch of grapes. Both are probably symbolizing the main business lines besides tourism.Klaus-Michael Schneider, 27 April 2014