Last modified: 2011-03-18 by ivan sache
Keywords: zuzemberk | lynx | panther |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Municipal flag of Žužemberk, horizontal and vertical versions - Images by Željko Heimer, 23 October 2002
The municipality of Žužemberk was formed in 1998 by secession from Novo Mesto.
Željko Heimer, 23 October 2002
The flag and arms of Žužemberk are prescribed by Decision Odlok o grbu in zastavi Občine Žužemberk, adopted on 16 December 1999 and published in the official Slovene gazette Uradni list Republike Slovenije, 8/2000, updated as Odlok o spremembi Odloka o grbu in zastavi Občine Žužemberk, adopted on 11 May 2006 and published on 19 May 2006 in Uradni list Republike Slovenije, 52/2006.
The flag is rectangular, in proportions 2:5, vertically divided green-white-blue with the lynx from the coat of arms in the middle of the white stripe.
Željko Heimer, 27 June 2010
Coat of arms of Žužemberk - Image by Željko Heimer, 23 October 2002
The coat of arms of Žužemberk is "Vert a lynx proper salient to sinister and a base wavy azure".
The coat of arms is considered to date back to the 14th century, but its oldest representation is from the Valvasor's Armorial (17th century). All the known representations of the coat of arms show a lynx proper lying on a shield argent.
Željko Heimer, 25 June 2006
A document written by Vldo
Kostevc, Head of the municipal administration, presents the symbols.
The lynx, recently reintroduced in the local forests, symbolizes courage, intelligence, strength and perseverance. The green colour represents the forests, meadows and fields, while the blue colour represents river Krka.
Once common in the region, the lynx has been the symbol of Žužemberk for centuries. In his Insigniorim Opus (17th century), Valvasor shows the arms of Žužemberk with a raised-tailed panther. The arms are believed to have been derived from the municipal chart granted [together with arms) in the 14th century to the town. The colors of the arms are unknown, and there is not hint of a flag associated with them.
Žužemberk officially adopted arms in 1938, as described in the book Grbovi Jugoslavije (Coat of arms of Yugoslavia) written by Emilija Lasznovskega; the arms are also represented un the book V senci Žužemberkš:kega gradu (In the Shadow of Žužemberk Castle), published by Franca Mvarja in 1938.
A "Kava Hag" (Coffee Haag) Album shows a jumping panther or [spotted sable] on a field argent. Another, black and white, image shows the panther argent jumping to the sinister side of the shield (as it is the case of the modern arms of Žužemberk.
Ivan Sache, 10 October 2010