Last modified: 2013-06-07 by peter hans van den muijzenberg
Keywords: sfantu | gheorghe | sepsiszentgyorgy | covasna | kovaszna | romania | transylvania |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Sfântu Gheorghe (in Hungarian Sepsiszentgyörgy) is a city in Covasna (Kovászna) County of Romania (Transylvania). The commune contains three settlements: City of Sfântu Gheorge / Sepsiszentgyörgy, Chilieni / Kilyén and Coseni / Szotyor villages. The city has got 67.220 inhabitants (49.977 (74,3%) Hungarians, 1992 census). The settlement is one of the historical and traditional centres of the Székely Land (Terra Siculorum). The name of Sepsiszentgyörgy has two parts: Sepsi, means 'from Sebes' - the city is located in the former Sepsi district of the Székely Land settled by the Székelys from Sebes (in Rumanian: Sebiş) and its envirouns in the 12th century. Szentgyörgy means Saint George. Neighbouring communities are: Valea Crişului / Sepsikoröspatak, Vâlcele / Elopatak, Chichiş / Kökös, Ozun / Uzon, Reci / Réty and Ghidfalău / Gidófalva communities.
The first mention of the settlement is from 1322. Town from 1461 by King Matthias. After the Battle of Mohács (1526) which ended the Kingdom of Hungary, Szentgyörgy became a part of the Principality of Transylvania (1552-1765) later Grand Duchy of Transylvania (1765-1867). The settlement was destroyed in 1658 by the Turks. 1867-1918/1920 part of the Kingdom of Hungary. In 1910 the settlement was a town in the Háromszék (in Rumanian Treiscăune) County of the Kingdom of Hungary. Inhabitants in 1910: 8.665; 8.361 (96,5%) Hungarian, 158 (1,8%) German, 108 (1,2%) Rumanian and 38 (0,4%) other by mother tongue, 4.953 (56,2%) Calvinist, 2.247 (25,9%) Roman Catholic, 451 (5,2%) Greek Orthodox, 383 (4,4%) Jew, 312 (3,6%) Unitarian and 319 (3,7%) other by religion. In 1916, from 2nd September to 10th October the town was under Rumanian occupation. From 1918/1920 (Romanian occupation / Treaty of Trianon) to 1940 (Second Decision in Vienna) part of the Kingdom of Romania. 1940-1944 part of Hungary. The Treaty of Paris reallocated it to Romania. The settlement was a town 1952-1960 in the Hungarian Autonomous Region, 1960-1968 in Braşov Region and from 1968 is a city in Covasna County.
István Molnár, 9 Dec 2000
by Vanja Poposki, 5 July 2012
This flag of the Sfântu Gheorghe Municipality, Romania, was proclaimed illegal by the Regional Council.
Vanja Poposki, 5 July 2012
by António Martins, 27 February 2001
Seven blue and white descending stripes, parallel to a central diagonal.
António Martins, 27 February 2001
This flag appears at Dr. Széll Sándor: Városaink neve, címere és
lobogója (1941) as "Sepsiszentgyörgy, Háromszék Co.".
István Molnár, 9 Dec 2000