This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Santana Municipality (Portugal)

Concelho de Santana, Madeira

Last modified: 2014-07-26 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: santana | corn(ear) | hortensia(blossom) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Santana municipality] 2:3 image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 11 Mar 2013
See also:

About the Flag

Santana, the seat of a concelho [municipality] has for flag a gyronny of white and green, charged with the coat of arms.
Ivan Sache, 18 Feb 2001

That information is very interresting, because Santana had its status upgraded to city only last month, and you say that they already have a gyronny flag?
Sérgio Horta, 18 Feb 2001

It is a fairly typical Portuguese municipal flag, with the coat of arms centred on a white and green background gyronny (city rank).
António Martins-Tuválkin, 23 Feb 2007

Coat of arms

[Santana municipality CoA] image by Sérgio Horta, 24 Feb 2007

The arms are Argent above two bundles of three indian corn cobs fruited Or and leaved Vert each a bundle of three hortensia flowers Proper. Mural crown argent with five visible towers (city status) and white scroll reading in black upper case letters "SANTANA".
"Santana" is a contraction of "Santa Ana", meaning Saint Anne, the grandmother of Jesus (from his mother's side). Her heraldic attributes are the door and the book, neither shown in these arms.
António Martins-Tuválkin, 23 Feb 2007

Former symbols (1957-2001)

[Santana (town) municipality] 2:3 image by Sérgio Horta,

The previous arms and flag, had plain green background and four towers in the mural crown (town rank). Those were adopted and published in the official journal _Diário do Governo : II Série_ in 1957.03.06.

Flag and coat of arms adopted and published in the official journal Diário do Governo : III Série in 2001.02.01, upon upgrading to city status with trivial changes of the previous.
António Martins-Tuválkin, 23 Feb 2007

Version without Coat of Arms

[Santana municipality plain] 2:3 image by António Martins-Tuválkin, Apr 2010

Presentation of Santana

The freguesia [commune] of Santana was created in 1552 and upgraded to vila [town] and seat of concelho [municipality] in 1835.
Ivan Sache, 18 Feb 2001

Santana municipality had 8804 inhabitants in 2001 and consists of 6 communes covering 93,10 km². It is part of Madeira Autonomou Region, former Funchal District, traditional province and NUTS I, NUTS II and NUTS III Madeira.
António Martins-Tuválkin, 23 Feb 2007

back to Municipalities of Portugal click here