This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Golpilheira Commune (Portugal)

Freguesia de Golpilheira, Concelho de Batalha, Distrito de Leiria

Last modified: 2014-10-25 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: golpilheira | fess(masoned) | chest | corn(cob) | wheat(ear) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Golpilheira commune] 2:3 image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 21 Oct 2014
See also:

About the Flag

It is a typical Portuguese communal flag, with the coat of arms centred on a plain blue field.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 21 Oct 2014

Coat of arms

[Golpilheira commune CoA] image located by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 21 Oct 2014

The arms are Or a fess Argent masoned and fimbriated Gules, in chief a blue chest of rattan emphasised and garnished Argent, in base two corn cobs Or leaved Vert flanked by four wheat ears of the same tied Gules. Mural crown argent with three visible towers (village rank) and white scroll reading in black upper case letters "GOLPILHEIRA"
The masoned fess is representing the ruins of the Roman city of Collippo and is symbolizing the colonization since ancient times. The chest is referring to a tradition to welcome pilgrims and travellers and to the industry of making rattan furniture. Corn cobs and wheat ears are alluding to agriculture as a traditional business line.
Source: municipal webpage (in Portuguese only)
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 21 Oct 2014

Presentation of Golpilheira

Golpilheira is one of the four communes of Batalha Municipality covering 5,06 km². It had 1528 inhabitants in 2011. It was part of Batalha Commune before and became an independent commune on 1 January 1985.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 21 Oct 2014

back to Batalha Communes click here