Last modified: 2014-06-28 by andrew weeks
Keywords: margonin |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Margonin is first mentioned when the archbishop Jarosław Skotnicki of
Gnesen and the bishop of Posen Jan Doliwa agreed on May 15, 1364 that Margonin
should belong to the Posen diocese. Town rights were received in 1402.
Much of the town was destroyed in 1655 during the Swedish-Polish wars,
and the town lost its rights. They were restored on July 20, 1696. An orphanage
was established in 1725. The Catholic church was heavily damaged by a storm
in 1737, and was repaired between 1753 and 1755.
The area was part of the Second Partition and was part of Prussia until World War II, except for the Napoleonic period of the Duchy of Warsaw (1807 to 1815). Gas lanterns illuminated the town from 1905. The railroad-track from Golanz to Chodziez passed by the town in 1908. During World War II, the town was occupied from September 5, 1939 to January 22, 1944. In 1975 the town became part of the Pila district, in 1998 part of the Wielkopolska district.
Arms and flag adopted on March 17, 2003 (resolution # IV/41/2003).
"Arms: on a blue shield a maiden in a white gown and with brown hair sitting on a brown bear.
Flag: colors of the flag are: white-yellow-brown-blue and the arrangement
is shown in the proofs sheets of the addendum #3 to the law ("Statut")."
Chrystian Kretowicz, 16 Nov 2008