This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website
Małkinia Górna rural district (Poland)
Ostrów Mazowiecka county, Mazowieckie voivodship
Last modified: 2011-05-14 by andrew weeks
Keywords: malkinia gorna |
Links: FOTW homepage |
disclaimer and copyright |
write us |
image by Pascal Gross, 3 Nov 2002
Małkinia Górna rural district flag
Here is the flag, arms and seal of MALKINIA GORNA (Upper Małkinia), a rural
commune in Ostrow Mazowiecka County, Mazowieckie Voivodship from
Some info about the commune is available in English at: this
There is no explanation of the symbolism.
Flag: rectangular 5:8 from the hoist - green half with the yellow pine
tree; fly half - three bands: yellow-white-yellow of equal width.
The site's images look orange to me, but the description says clearly
it should be yellow.
The commune of Małkinia Górna is a rural commune, situated in the Mazowieckie
Province, in the county of Ostrów Mazowiecka, 100 km east of Warsaw. It
covers the area of 13,408 ha and is inhabited by nearly 13 thousand people,
half of whom live in the seat of the commune authorities - Małkinia Górna.
Małkinia has a convenient transport link, both by road and by train, with
large cities. Małkinia is an important junction station on the east-west
railway route (Moscow - Warsaw - Berlin).
The name Małkinia first appeared in 1203 in a document issued for the
bishops of Płock by prince Conrad of Mazovia. The note said that the village
of Małkinia belonged to the town of Brok, which was a defensive stronghold.
Małkinia belonged to the parish of Brok and the diocese of Płock established
As early as in the prehistorical times Ma?kinia lay on the trade route
from Gniezno - the first capital of Poland - via Płock, Wyszogród and further
east along the Bug river via Małkinia, Nur, Drohiczyn, Brest, Pinsk, Turów
to Kiev - the capital of Kievan Rus. This was a very important route linking
capitals of two states and the Western neighbour of Poland - the Holy Roman
Empire - and Rus in the East. Thanks to being situated on such an important
route Małkinia stayed in touch with the civilised world.
In 1815 there were 46 households and 315 inhabitants in Małkinia. Some
important events of the First and Second World Wars are connected with
Małkinia. The commune of Małkinia in its present shape was created on 1
January 1973 and then it was composed of 24 smaller administrative areas
including 27 villages.
The commune of Małkinia Górna is an agricultural-industrial area with
a lot of recreational and tourist value. One of the tourist attractions
of the commune, making it worth visiting, is the Bug river, with its beautiful
meandering stream-way and numerous old river-beds. Also in the commune
there are vast forest areas, striking meadows and fields. Clean air and
inhabitantś hospitability is not without significance either. Developing
tourism, recreation and leisure facilities, are the commune's additional
After the period of changes of the political system, the commune has
been enjoying fast economic growth.
Chrystian Kretowicz, 2 Nov 2002
Małkinia Górna Coat of Arms
image from this