This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Hulst (The Netherlands)

Zeeland province

Last modified: 2011-06-04 by andrew weeks
Keywords: hulst |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

Hulst municipality by Jarig Bakker, 20 Dec 2003
adopted 22 Jun 1956; readopted 25 Jun 1970; readopted 18 Dec 2003

Other Hulst pages: See also:

Hulst municipality

Number of inhabitants (1 Jan 2003): 27.858; area: 254,00 km². Settlements: Hulst (seat), Absdale, Clinge, Emmadorp, Graauw, Heikant, Hengstdijk, 't Jagertje, Kapellebrug, Kloosterzande, Kruispolder, Kuitaart, Lamswaarde, Nieuw-Namen, Ossenisse, Paal, Schuddebeurs, Sint Jansteen, Terhole, Vogelwaarde, Walsoorden, Zandberg.
In 1970 the municipalities of Hulst, Clinge, Sint Janssteen and Graauw en Langendam merged to form the new municipality of Hulst. On 1 Jan 2003 Hulst and Hontenisse merged to form the municipality of Hulst.

Via the Benevex-list Hans van Heijningen and Mark Sensen reported the new flag of the new municipality of Hulst, after the merger with Hontenisse. Hulst is in Zeeuws-Vlaanderen, the southern part of Zeeland province.
The present flag is: yellow with in the center a black crowned lion, tongued and nailed red.
This flag was adopted by municipal resolution on 22 Jun 1956; after the municipal reorganisation of 1970 of  it was (re)adopted 25 Jun 1970 by the new municipal council.
Two new designs were presented to the municipal council on 13 Nov 2003.
The definitive choice was to be made during the meeting of 18 Dec 2003.
In that meeting a third design was proposed: the old flag. The councillors made their choice - and chose the old flag for the new
Source: the Hulst municipal website.
Jarig Bakker, 20 Dec 2003

First proposal (2003)

[Hulst 1st proposal (2003)] by Jarig Bakker, 20 Dec 2003

Second proposal (2003)

[Hulst 2nd proposal (2003)] by Jarig Bakker, 20 Dec 2003

Hulst Coat of Arms

[Hulst Coat of Arms] image from the Hulst municipal website.

Granted 30 Jun 1970. On 27 Mar 2003 the new municipal council decided to retain these arms.