This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website
Huissen (The Netherlands)
Lingewaard municipality, Gelderland province
Last modified: 2011-03-26 by andrew weeks
Keywords: huissen |
Links: FOTW homepage |
disclaimer and copyright |
write us |
Shipmate Flagchart : http://www.flagchart.net
Flag in use in 1986 by Mayor and Aldermen (B&W)
Huissen former municipality
Huissen is a suburb southeast of Arnhem. In the early Middle Ages it was
a riverport. The rivers changed course and Huissen became islolated as
a Prussian enclave within the Netherlands. It became part of the Netherlands
in 1816 (together with Duiven, Gendt and Zevenaar).
The flag has the Coat of Arms of Huiissen and was developed c. 1954/55. The
old flag had the Coat of Arms covered with a crown - unlike the official Coat of Arms. This
crown had been in use since 1348, when it got its city-rights from the
Duke of Cleve. That crown had four pinnacles.
The Coat of Arms reminds of the Coat of Arms of Cleve and is related to the Lohengrin-motive.
Red and white were typical colors of Cleve and of most cities of the Hanseatic
League. - Huissen was not a member of the Hansa, though.
Jarig Bakker, 3 October 1999
The municipality of Huissen is known to use two versions of its municipal
flag; I have written to the municipality about this, but so far received
no adequate answer.
Hans van Heijningen, 22 May 2003
Huissen other flag
by Jarig Bakker, 21 May 2003
Description: two equally wide horizontal stripes of white and red, with
in the center the municipal arms, with a yellow citycrown of four mural
towers (mural crown).
This flag is not official, but is being used as such since c. 1954-'55.
The colors are derived from the municipal arms. The mural crown is not
used on the municipal Coat of Arms (granted 18 Mar 1816), but it has been in use
since 1348, when the Huissen received town-rights from the Duke of Cleve.
Source: Sierksma's Nederlands Vlaggenboek, 1962 [sie62]
Jarig Bakker, 21 May 2003
Huissen Coat of Arms
image from this
granted 18 Mar 1816