This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website
Hidaard (The Netherlands)
Littenseradiel municipality, Fryslân province
Last modified: 2014-06-28 by andrew weeks
Keywords: hidaard |
Links: FOTW homepage |
disclaimer and copyright |
write us |
by Jarig Bakker, 9 Sep 2003
adopted 1999; Design: J.C. Terluin and R.J. Broersma.
Hidaard (old spelling: Hidaerd - same pronunciation) is a village in Littenseradiel
municipality, Fryslân province. It used to be in the former municipality of Hennaarderadeel,
SSW of Wommels, with (1958) 189, (!974) 122
inhabitants. Near Hidaard is a junction with the pub "De Kliuw"
(gorge?), and the Hidaarderzijl, a lock in De Slachtedyk for the Hidaardervaart
(canal). Hidaard was also a village with enthusiastic participation in
the medieval feud of the Skieringers and Fetkeapers, and it also suffered
from the consequences. The "states" (stately fortified houses) are
almost forgotten, as well as the nobles living there.
Hidaard coat of arms: divided 1. in gold an erased black horse's head; a red
base with a golden clover; 2. in gold an erased horse's head; in red chief
charged with a golden clover; in blue chief charged with a turned silver
chevron, issuing from the chief top, reaching the dividing line.
Flag: red with a yellow hoist triangle, towards the hoist lengthened
with 1/8 flag length, of which the top is on flag center; the hoist triangle charged with a black erased horse's head of 3/5 flag height
and connecting a white chevron with the top in flag center.
This village is on the island of the village of Easterein on the Hidaarderfeart
(canal). South of Hidaard is the junction "De Kliuwe".
The division of the lower part of the shield represents "De Kliuwe".
The horse's head represents the horse-breeding in this area. The clover
symbolizes cattle breeding. The blue chief represents the Hidaarderfeart
and the chevron the lock in the Slachtedyk.
In the flag the triangles point at the building of the village, while
the yellow field represents the fertile meadows around the village. The
chevron is adapted from the arms.
Design: J.C. Terluin and R.J. Broersma
Source: Genealogysk Jierboekje 2001.
Encyclopedie van Friesland, 1958.
Jarig Bakker, 9 Sep 2003
Hidaard coat of arms
from Wapens en Flaggen fan Littenseradiel, booklet of the municipality.