This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website
Heeg (The Netherlands)
Wymbritseradiel municipality, Fryslân province
Last modified: 2011-06-04 by andrew weeks
Keywords: heeg |
Links: FOTW homepage |
disclaimer and copyright |
write us |
by Jarig Bakker, 10 Oct 2003
Heeg village (Heech)
Heeg (Frisian: Heech) is a village in Wymbritseradiel municipality in Fryslân
province in the Netherlands. Not to be confused with the mighty stins near
Engwierum (Dongeradeel), which is "It Heech",
and now completely demolished after some archeological experimenting by
the Ingwjirrumers. (Remember: when practicing archeaology: leave the brandy
Heeg (pop. (1958): 1576; (1976): 1494) is SSW of Sneek city, on the
Heegermeer, one of the most important Frisian lakes. The village has 4
churches, two ex-dairy factories, some agricultural activity and some eel-poaching,
but the main resource is the tourist trade. Until 1914 the Heeger eels
were exported to London (GB).
Nickname: "Brêgebidlers", "Brêgewippers",
"Kikkerts" (bridgebeggars, -wobblers, frogs) - the bridge unfortunately
is a fixed one; the terrace offers no exciting view of (un)able sailors.
Heeg Coat of Arms: in blue a golden eel in a reversed S-position, with its head
upward and watching a canton: per fess red and silver with over all a fleur-de-lis
Flag: blue with a square canton with 3/7 flagheight with two equally
wide stripes of red and white.
The Coat of Arms was designed by Piet Bultsma; it was based on the old known
flag of this fishing village; the eel reminds of the old eel-trade. The
canton is charged with the fleur-de-lis of the Coat of Arms of Wymbritseradiel.
The flag was (re)discovered by Klaes Sierksma in 1960. It is documented
in Steenbergen's flagbook (c. 1870), and could be admired on the Northsea
and under the Thamesbridge. Until 1914 eel-skippers had a priviliged berth
in London, with this flag in top. It can also be admired on old paintings,
like in the "Scheepvaartmuseum" in Sneek, with ships "along the English
coast" with the Heeger flag. On the flagchart of Joseph Roux (1766), stored
in the Navymuseum in Paris, this flag is also present.
Source: Genealogysk Jierboekje 1990.
Encyclopedie van Friesland, 1958.
Sierksma's Nederlands Vlaggenboek, 1962.
Jarig Bakker, 10 Oct 2003
Heeg old flag
Shipmate Flagchart : http://www.flagchart.net
known at least since 1766.
Heeg Coat of Arms
from Ralf Hartemink's site. (see also