Last modified: 2014-06-28 by andrew weeks
Keywords: folsgare |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Coat of Arms: in blue a red chevron, charged with a silver grate; the chevron with on top two clovers, and below a fleur-de-lis, all golden.
Flag: in blue a rectangular, also blue hoist-triangle, charged with
a yellow clover; connected to the triangle a white rectangular
hoist-chevron, the top of which is at a distance of the hoist equal to flagheight; the chevron charged with red square diamonds, in the form of the chevron ordered in two rows; each diamond with sides equal to 1/10 flagheight.
The Coat of Arms is based on the position of the village: in the corner of the
"Tjaarddyk". The blue color is derived from the old Middelsé,
and from the municipal arms. The chevron refers to the corner of that dike.
On that chevron is a grate, symbolizing the grill of St. Lawrence, the
patron saint of the village in the Middle Ages.
The golden fleur-de-lis symbolizes the village and its connection with the municipality. The Coat of Arms of Wymbritseradiel contains 7 golden fleurs-de-lis.
The clovers refer to the agricultural character of the village, and mainly to grass and cattle.
In the flag the elements of the arms return. Instead of the lily there is a clover in the corner at the hoist, symbolizing cattle-breeding, for ages the main source of income of the villagers.
Design: J. C. Terluin
Source: Genealogysk Jierboekje 2003
Encyclopedie van Friesland, 1958
Jarig Bakker, 24 Feb 2004