Last modified: 2013-12-04 by zoltán horváth
Keywords: customs | postal | disc (white): badge | palestine | canton: union flag |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
1:2 image by eljko Heimer
On 25th March 1929 the Post Master General requested a flag
that could be used to identify mail carrying vessels. A Blue
Ensign defaced 'PALESTINE POSTS' was considered until it was
pointed out that since there was now a Palestine
Red Ensign it would be more in keeping with Colonial
Regulations to have just 'PALESTINE' on a white disc for both the
Customs Service and the Postal Department.
The existing Customs ensign was cancelled and Admiralty Letter NL.1284/29 of 2nd May 1929 directed that,
the flag to be flown on Customs Houses and Vessels in the service of the Customs shall be the Blue Ensign defaced by the word PALESTINE in a white circle. Vessels in the service of the Customs shall fly, in addition to the defaced Blue Ensign at the stern, a jack at the bow consisting of a square blue flag with a Union in the upper canton next the staff, defaced in the fly by the word CUSTOMS.
Similar ensigns and jacks were authorised for mail carrying
vessels, with the word 'POSTS' replacing 'CUSTOMS' in the fly of
David Prothero, 4 March 2002
The Customs Ordenance of 1929 probably replaced previous Turkish legislation.
Dov Gutterman, 9 September 2001