Last modified: 2014-04-17 by zoltán horváth
Keywords: hungary | komarom | esztergom | kocs |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by István Molnár, 7 May 2003
"Near the historic fortress-town Komárom lies the small township KOCS. During the XVth century, the wheelwrights of the town. began to build a horse-drawn vehicle with steel spring-suspension. This "cart of Kocs" (pron. "coach") as the Hungarians called it ("kocsi szeker") soon became popular all over Europe. Practically all western languages borrowed the Hungarian town's name to describe this new type of vehicle: "coach" ("Kutsche", "coche" etc.)"
"COACH - The coach, originally a carriage or comfortable wagon, originated in the town of Kocs in Hungary where it was known as the "Kocsi szeker" or "wagon of Kocs". it was a significant improvement over existing wagons and its name recalls the town of its origins. There are many other inventions which retain the place of origin in their name - see Bren and Sten guns, denim jeans, shantung silk, to go doolally etc."
Kocs is a village in Komárom-Esztergom county in Hungary near to Town of Tata (9 km west) in the Little Hungarian Plains. The village has got 2651 inhabitants (2001 census), all of them are Hungarian. Neighbouring settlements are Mocsa, Nagyigmánd, Szákszend, Kömlod and Környe villages and Tata town.
The first mention of the settlement is from 1237 as 'KUCH'. Originally the name of the village could be Kos - means ram (sheep). The first known seal of the settlement shows rap. In 1910 Kocs was a village in the Tata district of Komárom County. Number of its inhabitants in 1910: 2834; 2832 (99,9%) Hungarian and 2 (0,1%) other by mother tongue, 2119 (74,8%) Calvinist, 664 (23,4%) Roman Catholic, 44 (1,6%) Jew and 1 other by religion. 1921-1938 part of Komárom-Esztergom Temporarly United County, 1938-1945 part of Komárom county, 1945-now part of Komárom-(Esztergom) county.
Symbolism of the CoA: In the top right green field there is a sheep relates the first known seal and the original name of the settlement. In the bottom right field there are the 'Árpád-stripes' - relates to the Hungarian coat of arms and the inhabitants of the settlement. In the left gold field there is the first 'kocsi szekér'. The flag is white on the center there is the Coat of Arms of the village.
Sources: I have been in Kocs and have seen the flag in use. The coat of arms is from: <www.terkepcentrum.hu>.
István Molnár, 7 May 2003