This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Bakonyszentlaszlo (Gyor-Moson-Sopron, Hungary)

Bakonyszentlászló Község

Last modified: 2014-04-18 by zoltán horváth
Keywords: hungary | gyor-moson-sopron | papa | bakonyszentlaszlo | zirc | saint ladislas | st. laszlo | king ladislas | horse |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

image by Istvan Molnar, 17 September 2000

See also:


Bakonyszentlászló is a village located in Veszprém County in Hungary between Town of Pápa (38 km east) and Town of Zirc (25 km north) in the northern part of the Bakony Mountains. The village has got 2.119 inhabitants (1990 census) nearly all of them are Hungarians. The territory of the village is 38,51 km2.
The village was founded by King Saint Ladislas (Szent László király) in the 11th century. In 1910 Bakonyszentlászló was a village in the Zirc district of Veszprém County. Number of inhabitants in 1910: 1.416; 1.334 (94,2%) Hungarian, 80 (5,6%) German and 2 others by mother tongue, 990 (69,9%) Roman Catholic, 373 (26,3 %) Lutheran, 39 (2,8%) Calvinist and 14 (1,0%) other by religion.
"The holiday-village situated in a beautiful area lies 25 km away from Town of Zirc. Places of interest: the Roman Catholic "round" church built in 1780 in late-Baroque style; the Mayor's Office with the memorial of the wars in front of it (the work of György Katona); the Lutheran church, that was rebuilt many times after its destruction during the Turkish occupation, and received its present shape in 1816; the Esterházy Park with a fountain with a water containing iron, sulphur and lithium and bearing the name of János Vak Bottyán; former Esterházy-Castle; near the village lies the only ancient sandy pine-forest in Europe that is now a natural reserve area. Places to visit in the area: the Köpince-fountain in Vinye, the fortress of Csesznek, the valley of the Hódos-creek, Fenyöfö, the Field of the Devil (with the Zsivány-cave and the Remete-cave nearby)."

The flag, the Coat of Arms and the seal were adopted on 23 May 1997.
Istvan Molnar
, 17 September 2000

Bakonyszentlászló village joined Gyor-Moson-Sopron county on 20th October 2002.
Istvan Molnar, 31 October 2002

Coat of Arms

by Istvan Molnar, 17 September 2000

Description of the coat of arms - In the dark blue field you can see King Saint Ladislas, the holy king of the Hungarians, on the white horse.
Istvan Molnar, 17 September 2000