Last modified: 2014-03-01 by ivan sache
Keywords: martinolich |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
House flag of Martinolich - Image by Željko Heimer, 17 October 2004
Martinolich was based in Mali Lošinj (Italian, Lussinpiccolo). Marco's father, Nikola, was the leading shipbuilder in the town, among others building the 700 t bark Leone, the largest in the Lošinj fleet, and the 2500 t nave Imperatrice Elisabetta, the largest on the Adriatic. In 1885, Marco began building iron ships, building 71 ships totaling to over 9000 t. The steamship company was established in 1911 with seven steamships and closed in 1937.
Marco U. Martinolich apparently subsequently located himself in Trieste and in the late 1950s to latter 1960s was again a shipowner under the title of Marco U. Martinolich Società di Navigazione per Azioni, still using the same flag as shown by US Navy 1961 and Stewart 1963 [ste63].
Željko Heimer & Neale Rosanoski, 5 November 2004
The house flag of Martinolich, as shown in Lloyd's book of house flags and funnels (1912) [llo12], is blue with a white lozenge throughout.
Željko Heimer & Ian Sumner, 17 October 2004