Last modified: 2014-03-01 by ivan sache
Keywords: bakar | towers: 3 (white) | anchor: fouled (black) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Bakar - Image by Željko Heimer, 6 July 2003
Bakar is a small town (about 6,000 inhabitants) located south of Rijeka at the end of Bakar bay. It is an important and natural port with long tradition, which is one of the reasons why such a small place got the Town status, otherwise a Town should have more than 10,000 inhabitants, only special historical or other reasons make exception).
Bakar was granted civic rights in 1799 by Empress Maria Theresa. In modern Croatia, Bakar was formed as a Municipality in 1992/1993 and was upgraded to a Town in 1997.
Željko Heimer, 16 June 2003
The symbols of Bakar are prescribed by Decision Odluka o grbu i zastavi Grada Bakra, adopted in 1994 by the Muncipality Assembly and published in 2000 in the County official gazette Službene novine Primorsko-goranske županije, No. 16.
The Town Assembly adopted in 2009 a new Decision on the symbols. There is nothing new but very minor differences in the wording of ceratin articles, making only cosmetic changes in the language used. The description of the symbols and their use remain exactly the same.
The current Town Statutes Statut Grada Bakra, adopted on 12 July 2009 by the Town Assembly and published the same day in Službene novine Primorsko-goranske županije, No. 25, unlike the previous Statutes (2006 and before) include the description of the coat of arms and the flag in Articles 6 and 7, respectively.
The symbols were designed by the Heraldic Art d.o.o. company, from Rijeka, and approved by the Ministry of Administration / Central State Office for Administration before 2006.
The flag is in proportions 1:2, horizontally divided white over yellow over blue.
Željko Heimer & Robert Grubiša, 8 December 2009
Coat of arms of Bakar - Image by Željko Heimer, 16 June 2003
The coat of arms is the modernized shield from the historical coat of arms.
As reported by Oštrić [osg02], Bakar was granted a coat of arms together with civic rights in 1799 by Empress Maria Theresa. The coat of arms was granted in the artistic style typical for the period, with a cartouche with large landscapes and ornamentations around the shield within a circular inscription. The coat of arms itself was "Tierced per fess, in the chief 5 x 2 checky gules and argent, in the field azure three towers argent embattled and with a window and doors sable issuant from as many mounts vert, and in the base or an anchor sable fouled argent in bend".
Željko Heimer, 12 September 2009