Last modified: 2015-08-10 by ivan sache
Keywords: volos | aisonia | nea ionia | portaria |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Volos, left, new municipality, right, former municipality - Images by Olivier Touzeau, 28 July 2013
The municipality of Volos (144,449 inhabitants in 2011; 38,710 ha) is made since the 2011 local government reform of the merger of the nine former municipalities of Agria (Αγριά, 5,229 inh.), Aisonia (Αισωνία, 3,031 inh.), Artemida (Αρτέμιδα, 4,583 inh.), Iolcós (ωλκός, 2,138 inh.), Makrinitsa (Μακρινίτσα, 898 inh.), Nea Anchiatos (Νέα Αγχίαλος, 7,411 inh.), Nea Ionia (Νέα Ιωνία, 33,000 inh.), Portaria (Πορταριά, 1,911 inh.), and Volos (118,707 inh.).
Volos is a coastal port city in Thessaly situated about 326
km north of Athens and 215 km south of Thessaloniki. Volos is the capital of
the Magnesia regional unit. Volos is the only outlet to the sea from
Modern Volos is built on the area of the ancient cities of Demetrias, Pagasae and Iolcos. After the Byzantine and Ottoman eras, the provisional government of Greece claimed Volos as part of Greek national territory, but the Treaty of Constantinople (1832), which established a Greek independent state, set its northern boundary between Arta and Volos. The modern town was first established in 1841, and its growth was substantially launched in 1881 when the area became part of the Kingdom of Greece. The development of the city was closely bound up with the establishment of its industrial estate, the upgrading of the port, and the growth of tourism.
Olivier Touzeau, 28 July 2012
The flag of Volos (photo) is white with the municipal seal - a white disk containing a Greek boat - in brown and the words "ΔΗΜΟΣ ΒΟΛΟΥ" (Municipality of Volos) below.
The former flag of Volos (Kokkonis website) was similar to the current one, but with the emblem in blue and an irregular blue line running from the flag's hoist to fly and throughout the seal, evocating the sea.
Olivier Touzeau, 28 July 2013
Flag of Aisonia - Image by Olivier Touzeau, 4 December 2012
The former municipality of Aisonia had its seat in Dimini (Διμήνι, 2,125 inh.).
The flag of the municipality was white with its emblem (photo; Kokkonis website). The emblem is taken from a Neolithic vase (photo) found in Dimini at the end of 19th century.
Olivier Touzeau & Paraskevas Renesis, 15 December 2012
Flag of Nea Ionia - Image by Olivier Touzeau, 25 May 2014
The name of the municipality ("New Ionia") refers to refugees from western Anatolia who settled in the area after the Greco-Turkish War (1919-1922).
The flag of New Ionia (Kokkonis website) was burgundy red with the municipal emblem in gold, including the name of the municipality and of the nomos of Magnesia.
Olivier Touzeau, 25 May 2014
Flag of Portaria - Image by Olivier Touzeau, 13 December 2014
The flag of Portaria (Kokkonis website) was white with the municipal logo.
Olivier Touzeau, 13 December 2014