Last modified: 2015-08-10 by ivan sache
Keywords: papagou-cholargos | papagou | cholargos |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Papagou-Cholargos - Image by Olivier Touzeau, 21 January 2015
The municipality of Papagou-Cholargos (Παπάγου-Χολαργός; 44,539 inhabitants in 2011, 863 ha) was established in 2011 as the merger of the two former municipalities of Papagou (13,699 inh., 338 ha) and Cholargos/A> (30,840 inh., 395 ha).
Olivier Touzeau, 21 March 2004
The flag of Papagou-Cholargos (photo, photo) is light blue whith the emblem of the municipality and a golden fringe.
Olivier touzeau, 21 January 2015
Flag of Papagou - Image by Olivier Touzeau, 21 March 2004
Papagou was named after Marshal Alexandros Papagos (1883-1955), a general who led the Greek Army in the Second World War and the Greek Civil War, before becoming Prime Minister of Greece. Papagou was part of the municipality of Cholargos until 1965, when it became a separate community. It became a municipality in 1982.
The flag of Papagou (former municipal website) was adopted by Municipal Decision No. 17 of 4 March 1996.
The colors of the flag are those of the Greek flag (blue-white) as well as red, which symbolizes the fight and the sacrifice of Greeks for their freedom.
In the upper hoist, a medallion bears the portrait of the founder of the city, Marshal Alexander Papagos (1883-1955), which is also the symbol of the municipality.
In the center of the flag is portrayed the Victory, from the homonymous series of paintings by the distinguished painter Giorgos Romanos, a citizen of Papagou, who also designed the flag. The original of this painting, donated by the painter, adorns the ground floor of the Town Hall.
Paraskevas Renesis & Olivier Touzeau, 21 March 2004
Flag of Cholargos - Image by Olivier Touzeau, 2 February 2015
Cholargos was the name of a deme of ancient Attica. The most prominent citizen of ancient Holargos was Pericles. Cholargos was part of the community of Chalandri until 1933, when it became a separate community. It became a municipality in 1963.
The flag of Choloargos (Kokkonis website) was light greenish blue with a golden border and the emblem of the municipality in the middle of the flag.
Olivier Touzeau, 2 February 2015