Last modified: 2012-03-27 by ivan sache
Keywords: akhalkalaki | cross: patty (red) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag and arms of Akhalkalaki - Images communicated by The State Council of Heraldry at the Parliament of Georgia, 25 January 2011
The town of Akhaltsikhe (60,975 inhabitants, 90% of them being ethnic Armenians after the expelling of the Meskheti Turks in 1944) is located in the Samtskhe-Javakheti Region (southern Georgia). The town, located about 30 km from the border with Turkey, was passed from the Ottoman Empire to Russian after the Russo-Ottoman War (1828-1829).
Jens Pattke, 19 September 2010
The flag and arms of Akhalkalaki are prescribed by Decree No. 94, adopted on 6 July 2010 by the Municipal Council.
The State Council of Heraldry at the Parliament of Georgia, 25 January 2011
The flag is horizontally divided white-green-blue by with a red "Georgian" cross patty in canton.
The coat of arms is "Per fess, 1. Argent a three-peaked mount vert ensigned with a cross patty gules, 2a. Gules a wheat sheaf or, 2b. Azure three bends wavy argent. The shield surmounted by a three-towered mural crown argent fimbriated sable. Under the shield a scroll argent fimbriated sable charged with the name of the town in Georgian capital letters sable".
Ivan Sache, 19 September 2010