Last modified: 2009-06-06 by ivan sache
Keywords: herault | saint-jean-de-vedas |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Saint-Jean-de-Védas - Image by Olivier Touzeau, 12 February 2009
The municipality of Saint-Jean-de-Védas (8,585 inhabitants in 2006; 1,289 ha) is located at one of the main (busy) entrances of the town of Montpellier, which it borders in the south-west.
A "Villa Vedatio" (Védas estate) is mentioned in the 11th century in the charts of the abbey of Maguelone, but the origin of the name Védas is still unknown. In the Ancient Regime, the power on the village was shared by the local lords, living in the castle of Saint-Jean, and the bishops of Maguelone, owners of the castle of Terral.
From 1500 to the late 19th century, Saint-Jean-de-Védas was famous for its limestone quarry. More than half of the municipal territory was once grown with grapevine. In 1936, a colony of Spanish Republicans from the village of Librilla (Province of Murcia) set up in the so-called "Spanish Ward". Librilla and Saint-Jean-de-Védas set up a partnership in 1991.
In the 1960s, following the repatriation of the French from Algeria and the development of Montpellier, agriculture disappeared from the village, which grew up to a small town.
Source: Municipal website
Ivan Sache, 12 February 2009
The flag of Saint-Jean-de-Védas, as shown on a photo, is white with the main elements of the municipal logo, a black rectangle framing a yellow sun crossed by a blue ray and surmonting seven stylized red and green flowers. "Ville de Saint Jean de Védas" (hyphens omitted in Saint-Jean-de-Védas) is written in blackletters under the rectangle.
Olivier Touzeau & Ivan Sache, 12 February 2009