Last modified: 2006-12-23 by ivan sache
Keywords: allier | vichy |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Vichy - Image by Olivier Touzeau, 24 September 2000
The flag of Vichy is blue with the municipal logotype. There is also another vesion of the flag with a white border.
Olivier Touzeau, 24 September 2000
Burgee of CAV - Image by Ivan Sache, 22 May 2006
In 1892, the watersports (rowing, canoe-kayak, swimming and water-polo)
club Aviron vichyssois was founded in Vichy by M. Dubessay. In
1901, a few members of the club led by M. Blanc seceded and form Club
Nautique de Vichy (rowing, swimming, rugby, athletics etc...) The two
clubs organized famous competitions, some of them still existing like
"Swimming through Vichy" and the Vichy Regattas. In 1900, the Regattas
were patroned by President of the Republic Emile Loubet, who offerred
to the winner a vase from Sèvres.
Several members of the two clubs died during the First World War and watersports activity resumed in Vichy only in the 1922. The Vichy clubs were then amongst the best rowing clubs in France; Bouton and Sauvestre, from Aviron vichyssois, ran the final in the European Championships in Amsterdam in 1937. The set up of the Vichy government increased the practice of watersports: a lot of people (soldiers, refugees, civil servants) settled in Vichy and the development of sport was favoured by the government.
In 1957, the project of building a barrage and an artificial lake on the river Allier, already discussed before the war, was eventually adopted, as a part of the plan of development of the town designed by the new Mayor, Pierre Coulon. The works were completed on 9 June 1963 and the lake was inaugurated with the World Championships of Water-skiing. It was also possible to design on the lake an official rowing basin with six rows and a length of 2,000 m. In 1966, Coulon obtained the merging of the two clubs to form Club de l'Aviron de Vichy, which was granted in 1967 the organization of the European Championships of Rowing. The Mayor passed away a few weeks before the Championship. The competition was a big success, so that every year from 1969 to 1991, the club has organized the Internationaux de France d'Aviron. The rowing basin was completely revamped in 1983 for the organization of the Junior World Championships.
The burgee of CAV is blue with the French national flag in canton, bordered yellow, and the letters C.A.V. in yellow.
Source: CAV website
Ivan Sache, 22 May 2006