Last modified: 2015-01-04 by ivan sache
Keywords: muñoveros | segovia |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Muñoveros - Image by Ivan Sache, 20 April 2011
The municipality of Muñoveros (186 inhabitants in 2010; 1,937 ha) is located in the center of the Segovia Province, 35 km from Segovia.
Muñoveros, originally known as Munnoveros, was resettled by a lord
named Mañero Vero. The village belonged to the Community of the Town
and Land of Segovia.
Muñoveross, according to a local tradition, is the site of the tomb of Juan Bravo (1483-1521), one of the leaders of the Comuneros Revolt. Appointed Chief of the Segovia Militias in 1519, Bravo organized the defence of Segovia against the Royal troops. After the defeat of the Comuneros in Villalar on 23 April 1521, Bravo was beheaded, together with Juan de Padilla and Francisco Maldonado. The tradition says that Bravo's friends exhumed his grave from the Santa Cruz monastery in Segovia and secretly transported it to Muñoveros, the village of his wife he had cherished so much. An old stone cross engraved with "AQUÍ ESTÁ / CJV" (Here is / C[omunero] J[uan] B[ravo]) is said to mark the secrete tomb. When the monument to Bravo was erected in Segovia in 1921, it was indeed found that his grave had been emptied; the Muñoveros "secrete tomb" was also excavated, but the bones were unfortunately trashed into an ossuary, making any further investigation impossible.
[After Muñoveros y Juan Bravo, cinco siglos de historia, by Almudena Rico]
Ivan Sache, 20 April 2011
The flag and arms of Muñoveros are prescribed by a Decree adopted on
20 March 1997 by the Segovia Provincial Government, signed on 7 April
1997 by the President of the Government, and published on 18 April 1997
in the official gazette of Castilla y León, No. 74 (text).
The symbols are described as follows:
Flag: Rectangular flag, with proportions 2:3, divided in two equal parts by a diagonal stripe running from the dexter upper corner to the lower sinister corner, the dexter part purple and the sinister part white. In the middle is placed the municipal coat of arms in full colors.
Coat of arms: Spanish shield rounded-off in base. Per pale, 1a. Or a Caudillo Juan Bravo de Mendoza armed holding dexter a flag crimson, 1b. Azure a calvary of three crosses argent per fess, 2. Gules a two- staged aqueduct argent masoned sable over rocks of the same [THe Segovia Roman aqueduct]. The shield surmounted with a Royal Spanish crown.
The depiction of Juan Bravo is most probably taken from the statue made by the Segovia-born sculptor Aniceto Marinas (1866-1953) and erected on Plaza de las Sirenas, Segovia.
The Decree also prescribes a municipal standard for the Choir and Dance Group, described as follows:
Quadrangular standard, with proportions 1:1, divided in two equal parts by a diagonal stripe running from the dexter upper corner to the lower sinister corner, the dexter part purple and the sinister part white. In the middle is placed the municipal coat of arms in full colors. In the middle of the chief in or and sable the writing "Coros y Danzas", in base "Muñoveros" or and sable.
Ivan Sache, 20 April 2011