Last modified: 2015-11-21 by ivan sache
Keywords: mairena del aljarafe |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Mairena del Aljarafe - Image from the Símbolos de Sevilla website, 8 June 2014
The municipality of Mairena del Aljarafe (42,784 inhabitants in 2012; 1,770 ha; municipal website) is located 10 km south-west of Seville.
Mairena del Aljarafe was established by the Moors, as Maharana (lit., the Shepherd's Staff). After the reconquest by King Ferdinand III the Saint, Mairena was incorporated to Palomares del Río. The town was sold in 1639 by Philip IV to the Count-Duke of Olivares. After the death of the Count-Duke, ownership of Mairena was fiercely disputed, the domain being eventually granted to the Princes of Astillano, who were subsequently succeeded by the Dukes of Alba. The old rivalry between Mairena and Palomares did not end with administrative separation, it even resumes in the 19th century when Mairena outgrew Palomares.
Ivan Sache, 8 June 2014
The flag of Mairena del Aljarafe (photo, photo) is green with a white bend charged with the municipal coat of arms.
The coat of arms of Mairena del Aljarafe is "Argent an olive tree proper on a base vert. A bordure or inscribed with "AYUNTAMIENTO DE MAIRENA DEL ALJARAFE" in letters sable."
A seal dated 18 February 1925 features an olive tree. Subsequently, the olive tree was represented or, or argent, and the bordure vert was inscribed with "VILLA DE MAIRENA DEL ALJARAFE". The shield is surmounted by a Marquis' coronet.
Juan José Antequera Luengo submitted on 1 July 2002, upon request of the municipality, a modernized version of the arms: the shield is of Spanish shape, surmounted by a Royal Spanish crown, the inscribed bordure is suppressed unnecessary, as is the base vert. The proposal was not approved, though. Instead, a simplified version, without the Marquis' coronet, seems to have been preferred.
[Juan José Antequera Luengo. Heráldica oficial de la provincia de Sevilla]
Ivan Sache & Klaus-Michael Schneider, 8 June 2014