Last modified: 2015-11-17 by ivan sache
Keywords: cañada rosal |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Cañada Rosal - Image after the Símbolos de Sevilla website, 27 May 2014
The municipality of Cañada Rosal (3,288 inhabitants in 2014; 2,545 ha; municipal website), is located 80 km east of Seville.
Cañada Rosal was part of the resettlement plan of the Sierra Morena ("Nuevas Poblaciones de Sierra Morena y Andalucía") set up by Charles III at the end of the 18th century. In 1767, Gaspar de Thürriegel was commissioned to settle 6,000 Catholic (French, German and Flemish) colonists in the Sierra Morena; the colonists were expected to develop agriculture and to take care of the Royal Road linking Madrid to Cádiz via the recently open Pass of Despeñaperros. An utopian, rural society scattered among different villages was expected to live from agriculture.
Cañada Rosal was established on 16 July 1769. The site of the new colony was selected by Ceferino Jiménez, the civil commander of the colony of La Luisiana. In 1835, Queen Maria-Christina incorporated La Luisiana, Cañada Rosal included, to the Province of Seville. The origin of the town is still highlighted in several family names (Hebles, Fílter, Duvisón, Rúger, Hans, Delis) and traditions, such as the Festival of the Painted Eggs.
The municipality of Cañada Rosal was established by Decree No. 224, adopted on 27 August 1986 by the Government of Andalusia and published on 19 September 1986 in the official gazette of Andalusia, No. 87, p. 3,035 (text). The separation from La Luisiana was initiated on 1 July 1983; the Municipal Council of La Luisiana approved the separation on 29 October 1985. The Decree was corrected on 19 September 1986, as published on 23 September 1986 in the official gazette of Andalusia, No. 88, p. 3,056 (text). In the original Decree, the name of the new municipality was written, only once, Cañada del Rosal.
Ivan Sache, 27 May 2014
The flag (photos) and arms of Cañada Rosal, adopted on 14 January 1988 by the Municipal Council and validated on 19 July 1988 by the Royal Academy of History, are prescribed by Decree No. 93, adopted on 3 May 1989 by the Government of Andalusia and published on 12 May 1998 in the official gazette of Andalusia, No. 53 (text). This was confirmed by a Decree adopted on 30 November 2004 by the Directorate General of the Local Administration and published on 12 May 1989 in the official gazette of Andalusia, No. 37, p. 1,801 (text).
The symbols are prescribed as follows:
Flag: Olive green, 2 m in length and 1.50 m in width. In the center the local coat of arms.
Coat of arms: Argent an olive tree vert in chief, a transhumance road bordered by two fesses [wavy] vert six palms of the same, three roses gules slipped vert in base. The shield surmounted by a Royal crown closed.
The modified coat of arms (municipal website), adopted on 29 September 2011 by the Municipal Council and submitted on 4 October 2011 to the Directorate General of the Local Administration, is prescribed by a Decree adopted on 17 October 2011 by the Directorate General of the Local Administration and published on 31 October 2011 in the official gazette of Andalusia, No. 213, p. 13 (text).
The coat of arms is described as follows:
Coat of arms: Argent an olive tree vert charged with the cypher of King Charles III gules fimbriated or in chief, a transhumance road bordered by two fesses [wavy] vert six palms of the same, three roses gules slipped vert in base the outer cut the central entire. The shield surmounted by a Royal crown closed.
The symbols were designed by José Antonio Fílter Rodríguez (biography and bibliography), official Chronicler of the town. The coat of arms was revised, upon proposal of the original designer, for the celebration of the 25th anniversary of the separation from La Luisiana.
The olive tree recalls the first tree planted during the establishment of the colony. It is a symbol of the work, constancy and force expended by the first colonists to cultivate the bare soil, breathing life into the land and the village. The cypher of Charles III recalls the king who initiated the Nuevas Poblaciones de Sierra Morena y Andalucía in the 18th century.
The transhumance road [cañada-camino] represents the place where the municipality was established, also symbolizing the migratory character of the inhabitants. The six palms represent the countries of origin of the early colonists (Germany, Netherlands, France, Austria, Italy and Switzerland).
The rosebush [rosal] has the two outer roses cur at mid-stem, which represents the incorporation into the Province of Seville and the separation from La Luisiana. The rose with entire stem in the center symbolizess the independent Cañada Rosal.
[José Antonio Fílter Rodríguez. El escudo del municipio de Cañada Rosal, símbolo de identidd local. Cañada Rosal, 25 años de independencia municipal, 1986-2011, pp. 17-20]
Ivan Sache & Klaus-Michael Schneider, 27 May 2014