This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Villaeles de Valdavia (Municipality, Castilla y León, Spain)

Last modified: 2014-12-29 by ivan sache
Keywords: villaeles de valdavia | palencia |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors


Flag of Villaeles de Valdavia - Image by "Valdavia" (Wikimedia Commons), 25 December 2010

See also:

Presentation of Villaeles de Valdavia

The municipality of Villaeles de Valdavia (71 inhabitants in 2009; 2,067 ha; municipal website) is located 80 km from Palencia.

Villaeles de Valdavia is named for the estate (villa) once owned by Feles, a landlord of probable Germanic origin, and the neighboring valley of river Abia. In the mid 14th century, Villaeleas was a behetría, meaning that the villagers could freely select their lord, here the powerful Juan Rodríguez de Cisneros. In the 18th century, Villaeles was a Royal village (realenga).
Villaeles de Valdavia is the birth place of the Baroque sculptor Alonso Martinez (1612-1668), who worked in Andalusia (Cádiz, Jerez de la Frontera and Seville).

Ivan Sache, 25 December 2010

Symbols of Villaeles de Valdavia

The flag and arms of Villaeles de Valdavia are prescribed by a Decree adopted on 26 January 2004 by the Municipal Council, signed on 4 February 2004 by the Mayor, and published on 16 February 2004 in the official gazette of Castilla y León, No. 31, p. 2,082 (text).
The symbols are described as follows:

Flag: With proportions 2:3, tierced at hoist. At fly, gules (or red), waves argent and azure. At hoist, argent, two letters "F" gules (or red) and a Ducal coronet or (or yellow) in the middle.
Coat of arms: Of Spanish shape. Gules fesses wavy argent and azure ensigned with a Ducal coronet or a bordure argent eight letters "F" [gules]. The shield surmounted with a Royal Spanish crown.

Ivan Sache, 25 December 2010