This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Sotobañado y Priorato (Municipality, Castilla y León, Spain)

Last modified: 2014-12-29 by ivan sache
Keywords: sotobañado y priorato | palencia |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

See also:

Presentation of Sotobañado y Priorato

The municipality of Sotobañado y Priorato (164 inhabitants in 2010; 2,526 ha; official website) is located 70 km from Palencia.
Sotobañado y Priorato is named for a wet pasture (soto) and (y) the St. Augustine priory (priorato), founded in 1165 by Count Diego Martínez and ruled by the Benevivere Abbey. Once a famous local linen cloth market, Sotobañado y Priorato was granted the title of villa in 1803 by Charles IV.

Ivan Sache, 28 April 2011

Symbols of Sotobañado y Priorato

The flag and arms of Sotobañado y Priorato are prescribed by a Decree adopted on 22 January 1996 by the Palencia Provincial Government, signed on 6 February 1996 by the President of the Government, and published on 19 February 1996 in the official gazette of Castilla y León, No. 35 (text).
The symbols are described as follows:

Flag: Quadrangular flag with proportions 1:1, blue with three white wavy fesses. In the middle is placed the municipal coat of arms in full colors.
Coat of arms: Per pale, 1. Or an oak proper charged with a cross argent over waves azure and argent, 2. Checky of 15 pieces eight or and seven vair argent and azure. The shield surmounted with a Royal Spanish crown.

The Royal Academy of History validated the proposed symbols on 30 June 1989 (Boletín de la Real Academia de la Historia, 1990, 187, 1: 162).

Ivan Sache, 28 April 2011