This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Perales (Municipality, Castilla y León, Spain)

Last modified: 2014-12-29 by ivan sache
Keywords: perales | palencia |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors


Flag of Perales - Image by "Valdavia" (Wikimedia Commons), 19 April 2011

See also:

Presentation of Perales

The municipality of Perales (153 inhabitants in 2010; 2,746 ha; municipal website) is located 25 km from Palencia.

Perales, named for pear trees (perales), was founded in the 11th century by Fernan Martínez, on behalf of Gómez Díaz, Count of Carrión.
In 1161, Count Nuño Pérez de Lara and his mother, Teresa Fernández de Trava, founded a nuns' monastery dedicated to Santa María de la Consolación, which existed until 1595, when the nuns were transferred to the Santa Ana y San Joaquín monastery in Valladolid. Perales was chartered in 1176, as a dependence of the monastery. In the 18th century, the village belonged to the Marquis of Poza, Count of Altamira and lord of Monzón.

Ivan Sache, 19 April 2011

Symbols of Perales

The flag and arms of Perales are prescribed by a Decree adopted on 13 January 1997 by the Palencia Provincial Government, signed on 20 January 1997 by the President of the Government, and published on 3 February 1997 in the official gazette of Castilla y León, No. 22 (text).
The symbols are described as follows:

Flag: Quadrangular flag with proportions 1:1, with horizontal stripes, white and green. In the middle is placed the municipal coat of arms in full colors.
Coat of arms: Shield of Spanish shape. Argent three pear trees [perales] fructed or terraced vert. The shield surmounted with a Royal Spanish crown.

Ivan Sache, 19 April 2011