Last modified: 2016-04-25 by ivan sache
Keywords: torre-pacheco |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Torre-Pacheco - Image by Ivan Sache, 11 May 2015
The municipality of Torre-Pacheco (34,151 inhabitants in 2014; 18,940 ha; municipal website) is located in the south-east of the Region of Murcia, 15 km of Cartagena and 40 km of Murcia. The municipality is made of the town of Torre-Pacheco and of the villages of Roldán, Balsicas, Dolores, San Cayetano, El Jimenado, Santa Rosalía, Meroños, Hortichuela, Hoyamorena, El Albardinal and Camachos.
Torre-Pacheco was settled in the Roman times by at least 16 villae,
shown on Luis de Miquel's archeological map of the municipality. The
region remained sparsely inhabited during the Visigothic and Muslim
The Murcia Council started the re-settlement of the area in 1450. Ángel Luis Molina enumerated 66 different owners in Torre-Pacheco at the time; one of them, Pero Pacheco was granted property rights on 7 November 1478. Luis Pacheco de Arróniz y Grimaldo, Dean of the Murcia Cathedral and Chaplain of King Philip III, established in 1603 the parish of Our Lady of the Rosary, which would be the center of the further development of the town. In 1618, two years before his death, the dean transferred his benefit on the parish to his cousin, Friar Juan Pacheco, member of the Order of the Holy Trinity in Murcia.
The municipality of Pacheco was established in 1836.
Ivan Sache, 11 May 2015
The flag of Torre-Pacheco (photo, photo), approved on 18 February 1987 by the
Municipal Council, is prescribed by an Order adopted on 13 July 1987
by the Government of the Region of Murcia and published on 31 July
1987 in the official gazette of the Region of Murcia, No. 173, pp.
The flag is described as follows:
Flag: Rectangular cloth, divided into two identical and symmetrical vertical stripes; the dexter stripe gules, the sinister stripe azure, the flag charged in the middle with the local coat of arms. The flag shall have a proportion of three halves between the length and the width. The length of each vertical stripe shall be the half of three halves the width. The coat of arms shall be centered on the line dividing the two stripes and its width shall be 2/5 of the flag's width.
The flag was designed in 1986 for the celebration of the 150th
anniversary of the municipal emancipation of Torre-Pacheco from
Murcia. The decision to design a flag was adopted on 17 September 1986
by the Municipal Council. The only reference available for the design
of the flag was the municipal coat of arms, adopted in 1955, and the
most representative colours of the municipality:
- red, recalling the coat of arms of the Pacheco lineage and the flag of Murcia;
- blue, the colour of the 1st and 3rd fields of the coat of arms.
[La Verdad, 22 April 2013]
The Royal Academy of History validated the flag "without any objection".
[Boletín de la Real Academia de la Historia, 1987, 184, 3: 565]
The coat of arms of Torre-Pacheco is "Per pale, 1. Azure a tower or masoned and port
and windows sable on waves argent and azure, 2. Gules two caldrons
three fesses checky gules and or six snake's heads vert langued or
three dexter and three sinister a bordure checky gules and or. Grafted
in base azure a monogram of the Ave Maria surrounded by a rosary and
eight stars all argent. The shield surmounted by a Marquis' coronet
[detailed description skipped].
Ivan Sache, 11 May 2015