Last modified: 2014-03-23 by ivan sache
Keywords: moclinejo |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Moclinejo - Image by "Nethunter" (Wikimedia Commons), 18 July 2009
The municipality of Moclinejo (1,264 inhabitants in 2008; 1,500 ha; municipal website) is located in the region of Axarquía, 25 km east of Málaga.
Of Moorish origins, Moclinejo was listed under different names by the ancient chroniclers (Moclinetum, Mohinete, Modinete, Molinete, Molinillo...).
In 1482, the village castle, suppressed long ago, was involved in the attack launched by the Catholic Monarchs against Málaga, whose total failure is known as the Axarquía rout. That year, Mulay Hacen, King of Granada, expelled by his son Boabdil, moved to Málaga, where he encouraged the Moors from Málaga and Ronda to raid the neighbouring Christian territories. In March 1482, an assembly of knights, gathered at Antequera, decided to raid Málaga via Axarquía; on 19 March, 2,700 riders and 1,000 soldiers invaded the region. They found most villages deserted, the villagers having escaped and secured their goods in impregnable fortresses. Upset by the lack of booty, the Christians could only burn the villages and fields. The villagers of Moclinejo organized the struggle from the heights, throwing big rocks and tree trunks down to the Christian invaders. Disorganized by this unexpected counter-attack and the uneven ground, the Christian troops could neither move forwards nor withdraw and were totally overwhelmed.
The event, one of the worst Christian defeats in Andalusia, is recalled in the local toponymy by the Hoya de los Muertos (Grave of the Dead) and the Cuesta de la Matanza (Slope of the Slaughter). The Moors of Moclinejo were submitted a few years later, Diego de Santiesteban being appointed governor of the fortress.
Ivan Sache, 18 January 2009
The flag and arms of Moclinejo, adopted on 18 February 2005 by the Municipal Council and submitted on 24 February 2005 to the Directorate General of the Local Administration, is prescribed by a Decree adopted on 9 March 2005 by the Directorate General of the Local Administration and published on 28 March 2005 in the official gazette of Andalusia, No. 59, p. 93 (text).
The flag is described as follows:
Flag: Rectangular flag, in proportions 2:3, quartered yellow and red. Overall in the center of the panel, the municipal coat of arms.
Coat of arms: Gules a castle or surmounted with an arm argent holding a scimitar of the same. Per fess or a vine and an olive tree all vert placed per pale. The shield surmounted with a Royal crown closed, of gold, made of jewels, eight arches of pearls, orb and cross in the upper part.
The arm issuant from the castle recalls an historical event that happened in 1483, when the Grand Master of the Order of Saint James and other great lords were defeated by the inhabitants of the village. Grapevine and olive are the main sources of income for the municipality, thanks to the fertility of the excellent soil.
[Símbolos de las Entidades Locales de Andalucía. Málaga (PDF file)]
Ivan Sache, 18 July 2009