Last modified: 2015-07-28 by ivan sache
Keywords: spain | andalusia | malaga | almogía | coat of arms |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Blas Delgado, 18 Oct 2005
Size: 162 Km²
Population: Approx. 4.300
Residents known as: Moriscos
Monuments: Hins-Xan-Biter castle, Church of La Asunción, Hermitage of the Sagrado Corazón, Chapel of Santo Cristo.
Geographic location: In the heart of the Malaga Mountains, 25 kilometres from Malaga city at 363 metres above sea level.
Tourist information: Town Hall, Plaza de la Constitución, 1. 29150.
Phone: 952 430 025 Fax: 952 430 229
Almogía, "The Pretty One," as the Moors called it, is situated in a strategic position to the west of the Malaga Mountains. The existence of the remains of old Roman roadways passing through the region points to an important geographical position since pre-historic times. We reach the area from Malaga by the old Antequera road, through hilly countryside where the highest peak is Santi Petri, at 797 metres above sea level. Most of this land is scrub, with olive trees in abundance, although there are indications of older oak forests that used to cover these mountains. It is especially spectacular in the Retamares Gorge, and there are splendid views from the Santi-Petri area.
There are two theories about the origin of the name of the town, but all historians agree that it goes back a very long way. Diego Vázquez Otero relates it to the ancient tribes of the al-mexíes, while Asín Palacio claims that it meant "The Beautiful." In either case, it is clear that the town was an important urban centre in Moorish times. During the Omar ben Hafsún revolt against the Cordoba Omeyas, the fortress of Sancti Petri (Hins-Xan-Biter) played a vital part in the defence of Bobastro. The town was surrendered to the Christian forces in May of 1487, when the Christian captain Mosén Pedro Santiesteban was named mayor. Later the Moriscos of Almogía took part in the rebellion of 1570, and being defeated, most of them were expelled from the region. This left the land depopulated, and it was subsequently occupied by Christians from Teba and Antequera, then part of the Kingdom of Seville. Almógia and its castle was invaded by French troops during the War of Independence, and was destroyed by them in the later flight from the area, as an act of vengeance.
Blas Delgado, Oct 18 2005