This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

City of Campo Real (Madrid Community, Spain)

Madrid Province

Last modified: 2016-03-20 by ivan sache
Keywords: campo real | madrid |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

See also:


The municipality of Campo Real (4,124 inhabitants in 2006) is located 33 km south-east of Madrid.

The village of Aldea del Campo (lit., the village in the plain) was mentioned in the middle of the Xth century. Renamed Campo de Almoacid during the Muslim period, the village was reconquered in 1047 by Fernando I the Great, the first King of Castilie. The Moors came back next year but were eventually expelled by the Archbishop of Toledo in 1118. According to a chronicle, the name of Campo Real was granted to the village in 1580 by King Philip II, when its status was upgraded from village ("aldea") to town ("villa").

Source: Municipal website

On 13 September 2007, the Governing Council of the Community of Madrid has approved the flag and arms proposed by the Municipal Council of Campo Real, after a positive evaluation by the Royal Academy of History and experts in heraldry. The flag of Campo Real shall be the following:

De proporciones 2:3. Paño rojo con el escudo municipal timbrado en el centro.,

"In proportion 2:3. Red with the crowned municipal coat of arms in the middle."
Source: Madridiario, 14 Sep 2007

Ivan Sache, 15 Sep 2007

Coat of Arms

The coat of arms of Campo Real shall be the following:

En campo de azur, un castillo de plata, abierto, surmontado de una corona real cerrada. Timbra con la Corona Real Española.,

"Azure a castle argent open on the field surmounted with a closed Royal crown. The shield surmounted with the Spanish Royal Crown."
The coat of arms shown on the municipal website has a red field instead of blue. There is a different representation of the arms here.

Source: Madridiario, 14 Sep 2007

Ivan Sache, 15 Sep 2007