Last modified: 2015-01-10 by ivan sache
Keywords: mansilla de las mulas |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Mansilla de las Mulas - Image by Antonio Gutiérrez (VexiLeón website), 19 June 2011
The municipality of Mansilla de las Mulas (1,913 inhabitants in 2010; 3,536 ha; municipal website) is located in the west of León Province, 20 km of León. The municipality is made of the villages of Mansilla de las Mulas (capital), Mansilla del Esla and Villomar.
Mansilla de las Mulas was most probably an old military estate
(mansella / mansioncilla). "de las Mulas" (of the Mules) was added subsequently because of the famous equine fairs that took place in the village.
The village is located on the confluence of the Way of St. James and of the old pilgrimage trail known as the Trajan Way, which crossed river Elsa 1.5 km north of the today's bridge. In the 12th century, the eight-arched bridge, of 141 m in length, was built and the old road was abandoned. The bridge was revamped in 1573. Mansilla is a fortified village, surrounded by a wall whose building must have started short after the resettlement of the place in 1181. The original wall was up to 14 m in height/Users/Ivan/Documents/Drapeaux/Edition/flags/es-le-tr.html and 3 m in width, and was defended by four gates, of which only two have been preserved, and six semi-circular towers of 9 m in height, placed every 40 m. The castle, originally included inside the walls and much older than the fortifications, was suppressed in 1394 by the Duke of Benavente to build the Castle's Gate, at the entrance of the village by the Way of St. James.
Mansilla de las Mulas is the site of the León Provincial Ethnographic Museum (website), located in a modern building designed in 2008 by the architect Mariano Sáenz de Miera inside the old St. Augustine monastery. The museum houses more than 3,500 items, most of them donated by a local doctor, Julio Carro Carro.
Ivan Sache, 19 June 2011
The flag of Mansilla de las Mulas is prescribed
by a Decree adopted on 14 April 2005 by the Municipal Council, signed
on 15 April 2005 by the Mayor, and published on 28 April 2005 in the
official gazette of Castilla y León, No. 81, p. 7,467 (text).
The flag is described as follows:
Hoist: It shall be topped with a Royal crown closed or a spear head.
Dimensions: The panel of the flag, made of fabric, shall be quadrangular, with proportions 1:1.
Division: The flag shall be made of two equal vertical stripes.
Colors: A panel of colors yellow and blue, yellow at hoist and blue at fly.
Charge: In the middle of the flag is placed the coat of arms of the municipality of Mansilla de las Mulas, with the same representations and conditions as already adopted, that is:
Field: The shape of the field is the traditional, Spanish, rectangular, oblong and rounded-off in base shape. Its proportions are 5 in width on 6 in height; the shield has no point in base. The shield is made of a single field: "Azure a riding saddle or ensigned with a hand of the same. The shield surmounted with a Royal crown closed".
The vexillological prescriptions of the flag are:
Quadrangular flag, with proportions 1:1, made of a panel of two yellow and blue stripes, the yellow stripe covering the upper half, or hoist half, the blue stripe covering the fly half. In the middle is placed the coat of arms of the municipality of Mansilla de las Mulas.
The coat of arms of Mansilla de las Mulas is prescribed in a Decree published on 19 March 1974 in the Spanish official gazette, No.
67, after validation by the Royal Academy of History (Boletín de la Real Academia de la Historia, 1975, 172, 1).
The arms (municipal website) are a modern rendition of the old arms of the town,
shown for the first time on a document signed on 5 June 1522 by
Charles I in Valladolid. On that representation, the shield is surrounded by two cornucopias or filled with fructed branches. The shield is or with a big saddle gules with stirrups azure above which is placed a left hand azure.
The arms fore a rebus, mano, a hand, and silla, a saddle.
Ivan Sache, 19 June 2011