Last modified: 2015-09-13 by ivan sache
Keywords: alosno |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Alosno - Image by "Apj" (Wikimedia Commons), 15 July 2009
The municipality of Alosno (4,428 inhabitants in 2008; 19,300 ha; municipal website) is located 40 km north of Huelva.
Alosno was founded in 1444 a few kilometers from the mining village of El Portichuelo, where the acid waters released during the mining process had made agricutlture and cattle-breeding no longer possible. El Portichuelo has been known since the 13th century, as allocated by King Alfonso X the Wise to the Duchy of Medina Sidonia. From the end of the 19th century to the last decades, Alosno mostly lived from mining.
Alosno is the birth town of the flamenco singer Paco Toronjo (Francisco Antonio Gómez Arreciado, 1928-1998), famous for his "Biblic" songs and often considered as the best fandango singer ever. The National Contest of Fandangos of Huelva and its Province "Paco Toronjo" takes place every year in Alosno, self-styled "The Cradle of Huelva Fandango". The boxer Pedro Carrasco García (1943-2001), WBC World's Lightweight champion (1971-1972), with a record of 106-3-2 (66 KOs), was also born in Alosno.
Ivan Sache, 15 July 2009
The flag of Alosno, adopted on 7 February 2005 by the Municipal Council and submitted on 31 March 2005 to the Directorate General of the Local Administration, is prescribed a Decree adopted on 14 April 2005 by the Directorate General of the Local Administration and published on 28 April 2005 in the official gazette of Andalusia, No. 82, p. 28 (text).
The flag is described as follows:
Flag: Rectangular panel, in proportions 11 : 18, white with three horizontal red stripes, centered. In the middle, the local coat of arms.
The coat of arms of Alosno is prescribed Decree No. 2,197, adopted on 20 July 1974 by the Spanish Government and published on 6 August 1974 in the Spanish official gazette, No. 187, p. 16,190 (text). This was confirmed by a Decree adopted on 30 November 2004 by the Government of Andalusia and published on 20 December 2004 in the official gazette of Andalusia, No. 246, pp. 28,986-29,002 (text).
The coat of arms, validated by the Royal Academy of History, is described as follows:
Coat of arms: Per pale, 1. Azure two cauldrons checky or and gules with seven snakes vert, a bordure compony seven pieces gules a castle or seven pieces argent a lion purpure (Pérez de Guzmán-Niebla), 2. Argent a mound vert ensigned with a pick sable and a shovel of the same. The shield surmounted by a Royal crown.
The sinister part of the arms shows the arms of Pérez de Guzmán-Niebla, recalling that Alosno belonged to the County of Niebla. The mountain and the tools represent mining industry.
[Símbolos de las Entidades Locales de Andalucía. Huelva (PDF file)]
Ivan Sache, 15 July 2009