Last modified: 2015-10-18 by ivan sache
Keywords: huétor vega |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
The municipality of Huétor Vega ((11,844 inhabitants in 2014; 424 ha; municipal website) is located 5 km south-east of Granada.
Huétor Vega was already settled in the Age of Cooper (2,700 BP); a stone idol, fragmants of pottery and flint pieces from that period found in 1969 in Los Colorados are shown in the Granada Archeological Museum. Reamins of a Roman villa were discovered in 1901, yielding a women's statue dated from the 2nd century, shown in the National Archeological Museum of Madrid.
Huétor Vega was the birth town of Abd al-Malik Ibn Habib (790-854). A grammarian, rhetor, lexicographer and medical doctor, he was known as "the wisest man of his time in Spain".
After the expelling of the last Moriscos on 1 November 1570, Güetor-Caxar was nearly depopulated. Philip II ordered the re-settling of the village by colonists coming from Andalucia, Castile, Aragón and Levante. In the early 19th century, Güetor-Caxar was divided into the two municipalities of Huétor Vega and Cáxar (Cájar).
Ivan Sache, 21 May 2014
The flag of Huétor Vega is red with the municipal coat of arms in the center. The flag does not appear to have been officially registered.
The coat of arms of Huétor Vega, rejected on 26 November 1982 and validated 26 April 1985 by the Royal Academy of History, is prescribed by a Decree adopted on 16 July 1985 by the Government of Andalusia and published on 9 August 1985 in the official gazette of Andalusia, No. 78, p. 2,242 (text). This was confirmed by a Decree adopted on 30 November 2004 by the Directorate General of the Local Administration and published on 20 December 2004 in the official gazette of Andalusia, No. 246, pp. 28,986-29,002 (text).
The coat of arms is prescribed as follows:
Coat of arms: Per fess, 1. Vert a bunch of grape gules, 2. Azure three pomegranates or. A bordure argent inscribed with the writing "FRONTERA ENTERA LA NIEVE Y LA VEGA" [Border between the Snow and the Plain"] in letters sable. The shield surmounted by a Royal crown closed.
On the flag (photo, photo) in use, the first quarter of the shield is light blue and the bordure of the shield is or.
The Royal Academy of History rejected the originally proposed coat of arms. The proposed arms featured the pillars of Hercules, a bunch of grapes and a pomegranate. The first quarter was made of the colours of the flag of Andalusia, a substitution deemed "anti-heraldic" by the Academy. The horizontal line separating the second and third quarters was replaced by the writing "Libertad y Justicia" in letters sable. The second and third quarters were not compliant with the "no metal on metal" rule. The shield was surmounted by a scroll with the colours of Spain, charged with the name of the municipality, instead of a Royal crown. Beneath the shield appeared the motto "Frontera entre la nieve y la vega". While the grapevine and the pomegranate are relevant charges, the adequation of "the shield of Hercules and the lions" is not substantiated. The merging of national and local emblems is not suitable, either, for municipal arms.
The Academy proposed arms slightly different form those eventually adopted, "Per fess, 1. Vert a bunch of grapes argent, 2. Azure five pomegranates or. A bordure argent inscribed with the writing "FRONTERA ENTERA LA NIEVE Y LA VEGA" in letters sable. The shield surmounted by a Royal crown closed."
[Boletín de la Real Academia de la Historia, 1984, 181, 1:159]
Ivan Sache & Klaus-Michael Schneider, 21 May 2014