Last modified: 2016-03-01 by ivan sache
Keywords: cájar |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Cájar, two versions - Images from the Símbolos de Granada website, 20 April 2014
The municipality of Cájar (4,437 inhabitants in 2008; 200 ha, therefore the smallest municipality in Andalusia and one of the smallest in Spain by its area; municipal website) is located 10 km south of Granada.
Archeologic remains dated 2500 BC allowed the definition of the Cájar Culture. Once a Moorish estate where a noble built a palace, Cuiyar, later renamed Caxar, means in Arabic "a place where much silk is produced"; the place was indeed planted with some 400 mulberries. Cájar was the site of the Battle of La Zubia, fought on 18 June 1491, after which Queen Isabel marched against Granada. St. John of God (1495-1550, canonized in 1690) is said to have visited Cájar every week to raise funds for his hospital. The chronicler Henríquez de Jorquera described in 1600 the villagers as wealthy producers of silk, flax and hemp.
Ivan Sache, 2 August 2009
The flag and arms of Cájar, adopted on 29 January 2004 by the Municipal Council, are prescribed by a Resolution adopted on 17 May 2004 by the Directorate General of the Local Administration and published on 16 June 2004 in the official gazette of Andalusia, No. 117, pp. 13,329-13,330 (text).
The symbols are described as follows:
Flag: Rectangular flag, in proportions 2:3, made of three equal horizontal stripes, the outer blue and the central white, and a vertical [white] stripe along the hoist with a green pomegranate faceted in red.
Coat of arms: Per fess, 1a. Vert a pomegranate or faceted gules, 1b. Gules a tower or masoned sable port and windows azure, 2. Argent two fesses wavy azure. The shield surmounted with a Royal crown closed.
The flag appears to be used with two different shades of blue, either light (photo, photo) or dark (photo).
The pomegranate (granada) represents the Province of Granada. The tower, built to defend the Kingdom of Granada, was suppressed during the Reconquest. The waves represent river Monachil that waters the municipality.
[Símbolos de las Entidades Locales de Andalucía. Granada (PDF file)]
Ivan Sache, 20 April 2014