This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Alpujarra de la Sierra (Municipality, Andalusia, Spain)

Last modified: 2015-10-18 by ivan sache
Keywords: alpujarra de la sierra |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors


Flag of Alpujarra de la Sierra - Image from the Símbolos de Granada website, 20 April 2014

See also:

Presentation of Alpujarra de la Sierra

The municipality of Alpujarra de la Sierra (1,044 inhabitants in 2013; 6,900 ha; municipal website) is located in the Alpujarra mountains, 110 km south-east of Granada. The municipality was formed in 1971 by the merging of the former municipalities of Mecina Bombarón and Yegen.

During the Alpujarra revolt, Diego López Abén Aboo succeeded his brother Abén Humaya in 1568 as the leader of the revolted Moriscos; crowned as Abdalá Abenabó with the same ceremonial as the ancient Moorish kings of Andalusia, he ruled the territory located between Órgiva and Mecina Bombarón. Betrayed by his partisans, Abén Aboo was murdered on 15 March 1571 in a cave dwelling located between Mecina Bombarón and Bérchules.
Yegen has been popularized by the British writer Gerald Brenan (1894-1987). Born in Malta, Brenan stayed in different Andalusian places from 1919 to 1936. His stays in Yegen between 1920 and 1934 were the source of his masterpiece, Al Sur de Granada (The South of Granada), published in 1951. A supporter of the Spanish Republic, Brenan published other works such as El laberinto español (The Spanish Labyrinth, 1943, in which he relates the social and political causes of the Civil War), La faz actual de España (The Today's Face of Spain, 1950), and La literatura del pueblo español (The Literature of the Spanish People). The Granada-born writer Pedro de Alarcón (1833-1891) wrote in 1873 his last book, La Alpujarra, in which he gives vivid descriptions of Yegen.

Ivan Sache, 11 July 2009

Symbols of Alpujarra de la Sierra

The flag and arms of Alpujarra de la Sierra, adopted on 15 June 2006 by the Municipal Council and submitted on 19 June 2006 to the Directorate General of the Local Administration, are prescribed by a Decree adopted on 27 June 2006 by the Directorate General of the Local Administration and published on 7 July 2006 in the official gazette of Andalusia, No. 130, p. 45 (text).
The symbols are described as follows:

Flag: Rectangular flag, in proportions 2:3, made of two equal vertical stripes, green at hoist and white at fly with a blue wavy diagonal stripe descending from the upper left to the lower right corner of the stripe, flanked by a green rectilinear stripe and a blue wavy stripe.
Coat of arms: Per fess, 1a. Argent three bends the upper vert the other wavy azure, 1b. Argent a mount vert surmounted by a four-pointed star azure, all over a sword argent charged with a pomegranate proper faceted gules leaved and slipped vert, 2. Vert a bridge with a chestnut-shpaed arch argent masoned sable. (Crown omitted)

The blue waves represent river Mecina that waters the municipal territory. The mount represents the local topography.The bridge represents the monuments of the municipality; chestnuts are very common there. The pomegranate (granada) stands for the Province of Granada.
[Símbolos de las Entidades Locales de Andalucía. Granada (PDF file)]

Ivan Sache, 11 July 2009