Last modified: 2016-04-09 by ivan sache
Keywords: salas de bureba |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Salas de Bureba - Image by Ivan Sache, 11 March 2001
The municipality of Salas de Bureba (144 inhabitants in 2010; 1,330 ha; municipal website) is located in the north of the Province of Burgos, 50 km of Burgos.
Salas de Bureba was mentioned for the first time in 1084, when Count Gómez González granted to the San Salvador de Oña monastery a piece of arable land located in Salas de Bureba; a farmer named Andrés was commissioned to take care of the plot "forever".
Ivan Sache, 11 March 2011
The flag and arms of Salas de Bureba, adopted on 9 November 1999 by the Municipal Council, are prescribed by a Decree adopted on 21 September 2000 by the Burgos Provincial Government, signed on 2 October 2000 by the President of the Government, and published on 16 October 2000 in the official gazette of Castilla y León, No. 200, p. 12,619 (text).
The symbols are described as follows:
Flag: Quadrangular flag, with proportions 1:1, divided into four quarters, red, blue, blue and red. In the middle of the flag is placed the crowned municipal coat of arms of Salas de Bureba.
Coat of arms: Gules five towers or per saltire, a bordure checky ten pieces five or and five vair. The shield surmounted with a Royal Spanish crown.
The Royal Academy of History found "no objection" to the approval of
the proposed symbols. The coat of arms recalls the Tamayo towers and
the Velasco lineage.
[Boletín de la Real Academia de la Historia, 2002, 199, 1: 152]
The Tamayo towers, today ruined, belonged to the García de Salazar, a branch from the house of the Infanzones de Tamayo noted at the court of John II.
[Catálogo de fortificaciones medievales de la Bureba, Ricardo Cuesta Juarrero, 2005]
Ivan Sache, 3 March 2015mailme.html