Last modified: 2016-04-09 by ivan sache
Keywords: palacios de la sierra |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Palacios de la Sierra - Image from the Escudos y Banderas de la Provincia de Burgos website, 17 February 2014
The municipality of Palacios de la Sierra (791 inhabitants in 2012; 7,040 ha; municipal website) is located in the southeast of the Province of Burgos, 20 km from Salas de los Infantes and 75 km from Burgos.
Palacios de la Sierra got its name as a probable reference to manors
(palacios) once owned by noble families in the village. The site of
El Castillo, including remains of a castle and two superposed
churches, not to mention a possible settlement yet to be excavated,
yielded the biggest necropolis ever found in Spain. Used in the
11th-13th centuries, the necropolis has an area of 6,480 sq. m and
includes 566 tombs; more than 100 funerary steles and 59 skeletons
have been found.
Part of the alfoz (group of villages) of Lara in the 11th century, the village was transferred in the 14th century to the Mayor family. Pine woods were the main source of income and privileges for the village, granted for the first time in 1591 by the Catholic Monarchs and confirmed by their successors. In the 18th century, the local pines contributed to the building of the fleet known as the Invincible Armada. A Royal Charter signed by Charles V in 1792 granted to the villagers the right to cut every year 2,500 pines; this privilege is still valid.
Ivan Sache, 17 February 2014
The flag of Palacios de la Sierra (photo) is prescribed by a Decree adopted on
17 February 2005 by the Municipal Council, signed on 17 March 2005 by
the Mayor, and published on 31 March 2005 in the official gazette of
Castilla y León, No. 61, p. 5,536 (text).
The flag is described as follows:
Flag: Rectangular. Horizontally divided into two equal parts of same shape and dimensions. The two parts start in the middle of the hoist (or vertical left line), go through the center of the flag, and end in the middle of the fly (or vertical right line), in convex and concave shape. The sinuous horizontal line alludes to the Sierra de la Demanda range that limits the village in the north. In the middle of the flag is placed the municipal coat of arms.
Colours: The upper horizontal part, sky blue to represent the intense blue that is one of the characteristics of the Sierra de la Demanda, separated by a white line of 1.5 cm from the lower part, green to represent the pinewoods and showing two pines on the coat of arms.
The coat of arms of Palacios de la Sierra is prescribed by a Decree
adopted on 13 November 1997 by the Government of the Province of Burgos,
signed on 28 November 1997 by the President of the Government, and
published on 12 December 1997 in the official gazette of Castilla y León, No. 239. (text).
The coat of arms, validated by the Chronicler of Arms of Castilla y León, is described as follows:
Coat of arms: Rectangular shield, in proportions 5:6, ending with a rounded part whose center forms a point separating the two main fields. Per pale, divided into two halves. In the left [sinister] part, on a field gules, two cauldrons checky or and sable with snake's heads. In the right [dexter] part, on a field or, a fortified tower gules surrounded by two pines proper standing on mounds proper in between a sheep proper. Above the tower a wheel vert. The shield surmounted with a Royal Spanish crown.
Ivan Sache, 17 February 2014mailme.html