Last modified: 2016-04-09 by ivan sache
Keywords: madrigal del monte |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Madrigal del Monte - Image by "Erlenmeyer" (Wikimedia Commons), 23 February 2015
The municipality of Madrigal del Monte (169 inhabitants in 2014; 2,688 ha; municipal website) is located in the center of the Province of Burgos, 30 km of Burgos. The municipality is made of the villages of Madrigal del Monte and Tornadijo (58 inh.).
Madrigal del Monte was first mentioned in a parchment dated 16 May 1027, kept in the archives of the Covarrubias abbey and of the Burgos cathedral. Elta and Caral are mentioned as fluent landlords in Madrigal, which indicates that the settlement was already of significance at the time. The town was most probably established in 900-912, as part of the defence line of river Arlanza that connected Castrovido and Palenzuela. The Covarrubias abbey subsequently sold its domains in Madrigal to private owners, the most famous of them being El Cid Campeador. On 14 August 1164, Countess Ermesinda, the widow of Count Manrique, transferred Madrigal del Monte to the Bishop of Burgos; four years later, on 4 March 1168, Bishop Pedro and the canons of the cathedral granted rights (fueros) to Madrigal. According to the charter, the authorities of the town were appointed jointly by the bishop and the inhabitants.
Ivan Sache, 23 February 2015
The flag of Madrigal del Monte, approved on 12 April 2002 by the
Municipal Council, is prescribed by a Decree adopted on 24 May 2002 by
the Municipal Council, signed on 14 June 2002 by the Mayor, and
published on 12 July 2002 in the official gazette of Castilla y León, No. 134, p. 9,367 (text).
The flag is described as follows:
Flag: Quadrangular, 1:1. Two diagonal lines crossed in saltire divide the flag in four triangular fields. The triangle at hoist, golden yellow; the upper triangle, red; the lower triangle, blue; and the last triangle, golden yellow. In the heart of the flag is placed the coat of arms of the town.
The coat of arms of Madrigal del Monte is prescribed by a Decree
adopted on 9 March 2000 by the Government of the Province of Burgos, signed
on 20 March 2000 by the President of the Government, and published on
6 April 2000 in the official gazette of Castilla y León, No. 68, p.
The coat of arms, which was validated on 17 May 2012 by the Chronicler of Arms of Castilla y León, is described as follows:
Coat of arms: Per fess, 1a. Gules a castle or, 1b. Argent a tree vert, 2. Azure a vase argent with three lilies of the same surrounded dexter by five six-pointed stars or placed 3 and 2. The shield surmounted with a Royal crown.
The Royal Academy of History did not admit the use of the arms of the
Kings of Castile just because the municipality is located on the
territory of the old kingdom. The new proposal might keep the design
of the first quarter but change the colour of the field. Moreover, the
five stars placed dexter in the third quarter should be suppressed for
the sake of symmetry.
[Boletín de la Real Academia de la Historia, 2002, 199, 1: 145]
Ivan Sache, 22 February 2015mailme.html