Last modified: 2016-04-09 by ivan sache
Keywords: melgar de fernamental | san llorente de la vega |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Melgar de Fernamental - Image by Ivan Sache, 14 February 2014
The municipality of Melgar de Fernamental (1,872 inhabitants in 2010; 10,832 ha; municipal website) is located 50 km of Burgos. The municipality is made of the villages of Melgar (capital), San Llorente de la Vega (66 inh.; formerly part of the Province of Palencia), Santa María Ananúñez (16 inh.; formerly part of the Province of Palencia), Tagarrosa (14 inh.; formerly part of Santa María Ananúñez) and Valtierra de Riopisuerga (29 inh.; formerly part of Padilla de Abajo).
Melgar de Fernamental was chartered in 950 by Count Fernán Armentález, as Melgar de Suso (Upper Melgar), the capital of an administrative division including Bobadilla, Castrillo, Fitero de la Vega, Inoxoxa, Quintanilla, Quintanilla de Roaño, Quintanilla de Muniovoz, Melgar de Yuso (Lower Melgar), Peral, Santa María Pelayo, Santiago del Val, Santoyo, Villajero, Villieta and Zorita (but the charter is considered as apocryphal!).
The origin of the name of the village is obscure, except Fernamental, which refers to the founder Armentález / Armentáriz. Melgar could come from mielga, "afalfa", from mielga, "a fork to lift harvest", from amelga, "a piece of land marked before sowing", or from melo kara, "a high place used for watch" (here river Pisuerga).
Melgar de Fernamental is the birth place of the painter Dióscoro Puebla (1831-1901). After having studied in Madrid, Rome and Paris, Puebla, back to Spain in 1863, was appointed Professor at the San Fernando Royal Academy of Fine Arts of Madrid. Puebla specialized in historical paintings, portraying representatives, generals and Kings Alfonso XIII (1876) and Amadeus I, and painting patriotic scenes such as the Landing of Colombus in America and the Sons of the Cid. He was awarded with international prizes in Bayonne (1864), Paris (1867) and Philadelphia (1876).
Ivan Sache, 13 May 2011
The flag of Melgar de Fernamental is prescribed by a Decree adopted on
8 September 1994 by the Burgos Provincial Government, signed on 6 October 1994 by the President of the Government, and published on 19
October 1994 in the official gazette of Castilla y León, No. 202 (text).
The flag is described as follows:
Flag: Rectangular flag, with proportions 2:3, with an equilateral triangle with the base along the hoist, charged with the municipal coat of arms, in full colors. The rest of the panel horizontally divided in two equal stripes, the upper stripe red, the lower stripe blue.
The coat of arms of Melgar de Fernamental (municipal website) is "Per pale, 1. Gules a tower or, 2. Argent a lion proper crowned purpure, grafted in base or a garb of wheat vert. The shield surmounted with a scroll argent charged with 'Armas de la Villa de Melgar de Fernan Armentalez'". These arms are strikingly similar to the arms of the Enríquez family.
Ivan Sache, 13 May 2011
San Llorente de la Vega
San Llorente de la Vega (unofficial website) is located in the plain (vega) located between river Pisuerga and the Canal of Castile. The village is named for its patron saint, St. Lawrence (Latin, Laurentius; in the Middle Ages, Llorente). The region was resettled in the last decades of the 9th century, following the reconquest of Amaya and Castrojeriz (860).
The colonists probably came from the Cantabrian valleys of Cabuérniga and Liébana, which were overpopulated.
San Llorente was subsequently incorporated to the County of Saldaña, in the alfoz (group of villages) of Avia, and, later to the Merindad de Monzón.
San Llorente de la Vega was transferred from the Province of Palencia to the Province of Burgos, and incorporated to Melgar de Fernamental as a submunicipal entity, by Royal Decree No. 2,508 of 29 September 1978, published on 27 October 1978 in the Spanish official gazette No. 257, p. 24,785 (text).
The flag and arms of San Llorente de la Vega, approved on 30 December
2000 by the Village Council, are prescribed by a Decree adopted on 2
June 2001 by the Village Council, signed the same day by the Mayor,
and published on 2 July 2001 in the official gazette of Castilla y León, No. 127, p. 9,967 (text).
The symbols are described as follows:
Flag: Quadrangular, 1 x 1. Vertically divided, the first half, red, the second half, yellow. Charged with two silver waves (1/10 in height), the one in the upper right angle and the other, with the same characteristics, in the lower right angle. In the center of the flag is placed the municipal coat of arms.
Coat of arms: Per pale, 1. Gules a grill or surmounted with two palms of the same per saltire, 2. Two trees (poplars) on a base vert charged with two fesses wavy agent. Overall an escutcheon with the arms of Melgar de Fernamental, the seat of the municipality. The shield surmounted by a Royal crown closed.
Ivan Sache, 4 March 2015mailme.html