Last modified: 2016-04-09 by ivan sache
Keywords: hontoria del pinar |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Hontoria del Pinar - Image byIvan Sache, 3 February 2014
The municipality of Hontoria del Pinar (798 inhabitants in 2009; 8,084 ha; municipal website) is located in the southeast of the Province of Burgos, 80 km of Burgos. The municipality is made of the villages of Hontoria del Pinar (capital), Navas del Pinar and Aldea del Pinar.
Hontoria ("the golden fountain") del Pinar ("a pinewood") was resettled
in the 9th-10th centuries. "del Pinar" was added quite recently to
differentiate the village from other villages of the Province of Burgos
named Hontoria. The today's village was most probably founded in the
first decade of the 10th century as part of the County of Lara, ruled
by Fernán González. A document signed by King Alfonso VI on 1 May 1075 mentions Hontoria as the capital of an alfoz (group of villages) including Rabanera, San Leonardo, Arganza, Navaleno, Casarejos and Vadillo. On 23 August 1213, King Alfonso VIII, to found the pilgrim's
hospital of Burgos, transferred to the San Pedro de Arlanza monastery
the alfoz of Hontoria and most of the alfoz of Lara, the new
domain including Hontoria, San Leonardo, Casarejos, Vadillo,
Costalago, Quintanar, Canicosa, Regumiel and Revenga. The transfer was
confirmed in 1217 by Pope Honorius III.
The wealthy domain ruled by the monks was challenged by Pedro Fernández de Velasco, who was ordered in 1380 by King John I to withdraw from the usurped territories, including Hontoria. Philip II reincorporated Hontoria to the Royal domain and sold it to Juan Manrique de Lara, son of the Duke of Nájera.
Ivan Sache, 24 January 2011
The flag of Hontoria del Pinar, designed by Friar Valentín de la Cruz, the official Chronicler of the Province of Burgos, is prescribed by a Decree adopted on 20 June 2002 by the Municipal Council, signed on 30 August 2002 by the Mayor, and published on 19 September 2002 in the official gazette of Castilla y León, No. 182, p. 12,207 (text).
The flag is described as follows:
Flag: Quadrangular with three colors: green, yellow and red, or, vert, or and gules, placed horizontally as follows: first, green of 3:10 the flag's hoist; second, yellow of 4:10 the flag's hoist; and third, red of 3:10 the flag's hoist. In the middle is placed the municipal coat of arms in full colors.
The coat of arms of Hontoria del Pinar is prescribed by a Decree adopted on 10 February 2000 by the Municipal Council, signed on 21 February 2000 by the Mayor, and published on 6 March 2000 in the official gazette of Castilla y León, No. 45, p. 2,520 (text).
The coat of arms, which was approved by the Chronicler of Arms of Castilla y León, is described as follows:
Coat of arms: Per pale, 1. Gules a castle or from the arms of Castile in canton three six-pointed stars or, 2. Vert a mountain cart argent and a pillory of the same. A bordure or five pines vert and five triple waves azure, in turn. The shield surmounted by a Royal crown closed.
The flag (photo) appears to be used in proportions 2:3.
Ivan Sache, 24 January 2011mailme.html