Last modified: 2016-04-09 by ivan sache
Keywords: alfoz de quintanadueñas | arroyal |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Alfoz de Quintanadueñas - Image by Ivan Sache, 23 April 2011
The municipality of Alfoz de Quintanadueñas (1,889 inhabitants in 2010; 4,151 ha; municipal website) is located 5 km northwest of Burgos. The municipality is made of the villages of Arroyal (153 inh.), Marmellar de Arriba (32 inh.), Páramo del Arroyo (46 inh.), Quintanadueñas (1,324 inh.) and Villarmero (217 inh.).
Alfoz (historically, "a group of villages") de Quintanadueñas is made of villages that appeared in the turn of the 9th and 10th centuries,
following the reconquest of the territory located between rivers
Arlanzón and Ubierna and the foundation of the towns of Ubierna and
Burgos, ordered in 884 by King Alfonso III. The oldest documented
village is Marmellar de Arriba (949), followed by Páramo del Arroyo
(961); Arroyal appeared much later (1129), followed by Villarmero
(1214). There is no historical record of the foundation of
Quintanadueñas. During the first century after the foundation of
Burgos, most of the neighboring villages were ruled by monasteries;
later on, several villages were transferred to private lords. In 1068,
King Sancho II of Castile granted "the estate [villa] of Quintana
Dueñas, together with its arable fields, vineyards, pastures and
dwellings" to Simeón, Bishop of Burgos.
Located close to Burgos, then the capital of Castile and the seat of the royal court, Quintanadueñas quickly increased, incorporating the smaller villages located in a radius of 2 km, such as Quintanilla de Quintanadueñas (known since 1103), Páramo de Arriba (1129) and Villacesereo. The village was also used by the burghers of Burgos as a vacation residence. The increase of Alfoz de Quintanadueñas has not stopped since then, since the cumulated population of the five villages was only 485 in 1970.
Ivan Sache, 23 April 2011
The flag of Alfoz de Quintanadueñas (image) is prescribed by a Decree adopted on 10 February 2000 by the Burgos Provincial Government, signed on 21 February 2000 by the President of the Government, and published on 6
March 2000 in the official gazette of Castilla y León, No. 45, p. 2,519 (text).
The flag is described as follows:
Flag: Quadrangular flag. Horizontal colors: first, red in 0.5 or the flag's upper half; second, green in 0.5 or lower half. Charged with a golden (fess and pale equal) cross. In the middle of the flag is placed the municipal coat of arms.
The coat of arms of Alfoz de Quintanadueñas is prescribed by a Decree adopted on 10 July 1997 by the Burgos Provincial Government, signed on 23 July 1997 by the President of the Government, and published on 31
July 1997 in the official gazette of Castilla y León, No. 145 (text).
The coat of arms is described as follows:
Coat of arms: Per pale, 1. The same castle as on the arms of Castile surrounded by two croziers affronty argent, 2. Vert five stars or per saltire, the central 16-pointed and the other 12-pointed, grafted in base azure a fleur-de-lis argent. The shield surmounted with a Royal crown.
The Royal Academy of History pointed out that the arms of the Kings of
Castile were used on the proposed coat of arms "without any other
justification than the geographical location of the place". Such a
practice is "totally unacceptable, as already stated so many times". A
different proposal should be submitted.
[Boletín de la Real Academia de la Historia, 2003, 200, 2: 169.]
Ivan Sache, 9 February 2015
Flag of Arroyal - Image from the Escudos y Banderas de la Provincia de Burgos website, 10 February 2015
The flag and arms of Arroyal are prescribed by a Decree adopted on 29
April 2008 by the Village Council (unanimously), signed on 25 May 2010
by the Mayor, and published on 8 June 2010 in the official gazette of
Castilla y León, No. 108, p. 46,446 (text).
The symbols are described as follows:
Flag: 1:1, square and tricolor. First: Vertical stripe (0.3), blue. Second: Vertical stripe (0.4), red. Third: Vertical stripe (0.3), green. In the center of the flag is placed the municipal coat of arms.
Coat of arms: Per fess, 1a. Gules the arms of Castile or in chief three six-pointed stars of the same, 1b. Azure a parchment or with a bull of the same inscribed "ALDEFONSUS IMPERATOR" in letters sable, 2. Vert a scallop argent radiating. The shield surmounted by a Royal crown closed, recalling the Spanish monarchy.
Ivan Sache, 10 February 2015mailme.html