Last modified: 2015-08-10 by ivan sache
Keywords: almería |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of the Province of Almería, as seen on 18 September 2012 on the building of the Provincial Council - Image by Klaus-Michael-Schneider, 22 October 2012
The Province of Almería (699,329 inhabitants in 2013; 8,774 sq. km) is located in the east of Andalusia.
Ivan Sache, 21 June 2011
The flag of the Province of Almería is in proportions 2:3, dark green with the provincial coat of arms in the center.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 22 October 2012
Coat of arms of Province of Almería - Image by Klaus-Michael-Schneider, 22 October 2012
The coat of arms of the Province of Almería was adopted on 29 July 1925 by the Provincial Council. The Royal Academy of History blazoned the arms as follows:
Made of nine quarters representing the judicial districts (partidos judiciales), inescutcheon the coat of arms of the capital.
1. Berja - Gules a castle argent.
2. Canjáyar - Azure a sheaf of wheat or.
3. Cuevas de Almanzora - Three mounts proper planted with nettles over sea waves azure and argent.
4. Gérgal - A ruined tower or on a field of rhombs gules and argent.
5. Huércal-Overa - Azure a castle or ensigned with a key argent.
6. Purchena - Azure a castle or sinister a key argent.
7. Sorbas - Argent a lion gules [armed and langued sable].
8. Vera - Gules a double castle and a central key all argent.
9. Vélez-Rubio (Marquisate of Los Vélez) - Similar to the arms of Cuevas de Almanzora.
Inescutcheon. The coat of arms of the capital - Argent a Genoese Cross gules.
The shield surmounted by a six-towered mural crown or.
On the arms used on the flag, the escutcheon has a bordure made of 15 pieces, in turn: Castile (Gules a tower or), León (Argent a lion purpure gules crowned or), Aragón (Or four pallets gules), Navarre (Argent an eagle sable) and Granada (Argent a pomegranate proper). The shield is not surmounted by a double mural crown as prescribed above; the mural crown is of the same type as the four-towered variant in Portuguese municipal flags, but or.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, Pascal Vagnat & Ivan Sache, 22 October 2012
"Genuine flag" of the Province of Almería - Image by Ivan Sache, 13 May 2014
The Acción por Almería platform struggles for the establishment of a Region of Almería Region separated from Andalusia, as clearly expressed in their mottos, Almería no es Andalucía (Almería is not Andalusia), and Almerienses que no se sienten andaluces (Not Andalusians but Almerians).
Acción por Almería has decided to "dig out from oblivion" the "genuine flag" of the Province of Almería, a white flag charged with a St. George's Cross; the width of the cross' arms should be 1/5 of the flag's hoist. The platform submitted a petition to the Provincial Council for the recognition, rehabilitation and use as the flag of the whole provincial territory of "the standard that represents the whole province, colloquially known as St. George's Cross".
The applicants consider that the flag of the Maritime Province of Almería, prescribed on 30 July 1845 by a Royal Order of the Directorate of the Army, published on 4 August 1845 in Madrid, is the sole genuine flag able to represent the province. The applicants argue that the use of the St. George's Cross flag in Almería has been documented by different documents since the 17th century. Although there is no data on the adoption date of the flag, it is believed that the flag was derived from the coat of arms granted in 1495 by the Catholic Monarchs to the town of Almería. They further explain that the flag was widely used in the 19th century and early 20th century all over the province, as shown on illustrations and maps of the time.
Ivan Sache, 13 May 2014