Last modified: 2015-03-21 by ian macdonald
Keywords: club nautique hellénique d'alexandrie | alexandria | british boat club |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
British Boat Club, Alexandria, Egypt.
Established 1919. Vertical yellow trident on blue burgee, illustrated in 1928 Flaggenbuch
1938. Blue Ensign defaced with vertical yellow trident.
1948. No longer in Navy List.
David Prothero, 20 February 2015
image by Ivan Sache, 3 January 2010
The town of Alexandria (3,917,082 inhabitants in 2002) is a very cosmopolitan
place, whose atmosphere has been immortalized by the local Greek-speaking poet
Constantine P. Cavafy (1863-1933) and the British novelists E.M. Forster
(1879-1970) and, mostly, Lawrence Durrell (1912-1990), the author of the famous
tetralogy "The Alexandria Quartet". While living in peace with each other, the
different communities of Alexandria set up in the beginning of the 20th century
their own sports clubs, which were indeed the center of each community's social
"Club Nautique HellÃ©nique d'Alexandrie" (Alexandria Hellenic Watersports Club) was founded by the Greek community in 1909, with a French name, as well as Greek and Arabic, but not English, counterparts. Similar Swiss, Italian and English clubs were founded at the same period. A photo available on the website of the "Odyssée - Périples et découvertes" association shows the burgee of "Club Hellénique d'Alexandrie" as a triangular white pennant with a broad blue cross and a very thin blue saltire. The intersection of the cross' arms is made of a white square charged with two Greek letters φ (Phi). Not too visible on the photo, the letters are confirmed by the photo of the burgee applied to the wall of the club, available on the website of the "Amicale Alexandrie Hier et Aujourd'hui" website. Both sources show the plaque with the trilingual name of the club.
Ivan Sache, 3 January 2010