Last modified: 2011-08-12 by german editorial team
Keywords: frigga |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
The Westdeutsche Transport-Aktiengesellschaft had the idea, to transport coal from the coal mine tot he consumer in one hand. Its plans had been stopped by WWI. But in 1920 the Sereederei “Frigga” (name of an old Nordic Goddess) was established in Emden (East Friesland). Later the company moved to Hamburg. The company suffered heavily in WWII and lost many of its ships. The ruins of the two last ships were taken as reparations from England in order to be scrapped there.
But by a miracle both ruins are reactivated in June 1949 and repaired later on. In the late 1950's the fleet consisted of more than 15 vessels. During the petrol crisis in the 1970's the company faced problems. “Flags of convenience” caused new problems. The company had to get rid of many of its employees in the 1980's. The company moved to the small village of Tangstedt (Stormarn county). In 1991 the last vessels had been sold and in 1993 the company had been dissolved.
Source: this website (run by former company employees)
Flag’#1: It is a black flag divided by a white saltire. In the middle is a white roundel with a red capital “F”.(This flag is also displayed on website)
Source: ”1920-1970; “50 Jahre Seerederei “Frigga””, Hamburg 1970, frontpage.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 25 Aug 2008